Chapter 6

At some point last night V. must've climbed into my bunk because when I wake I find her snuggled up next to me. I smile as I watch her sleep, her face angelic and peaceful. I look at the clock on the wall. 6:30 am. Classes start at 8:00. I wonder what V. will do while we're in class. Sit and watch I suppose because there is no way that I'm going to leave her by herself!

    I climb out of bed slowly so that I don't wake her and tiptoe to the bathroom. "Abs?" Shoot. "Yeah V?" "Where are you going?" "I'm just going to have a shower." I explain. She yawns, "Ok then." I close the bathroom door behind me and turn on the light. While I shower I hear Shorty burst out crying and know that she must've seen that V. is still here.

    Slowly I hear people start to stir so I get out and get changed into my uniform. I tie my hair up and go out. Hanae rushes in, "Thank you Abigail! We thought that you wouldn't get out at all today!" I smile and reach to turn on the CD player that no one has bothered to touch. Shorty's dressed but still crying and Nat is still lying in bed.

    "Abs? Do I get to come with you to your classes?" V. asks rubbing her eyes. I raise an eyebrow, "How did you know that I have classes?" She smiles and jumps out of bed, "Just by walking here last night I could tell that it was a school, there are classrooms everywhere!" I smile too, "Very observant of you. And yes you'll be coming to my classes." Her smile grows even wider, "Good, I didn't want to stay here by myself." She gets dressed with lightning speed. Maybe she'll have to actually participate in the class...

     "You guys ready yet?" Hanae says pulling her hair into a loose pony tail. I roll my eyes, "What do you think?" "Fine let’s go then." She says holding the door open. "What about Natalie?" V. asks. "Leave her I guess," I say shrugging. "She'll come if she wants to." We walk down the corridor to the main hall for breakfast flanked on either side. V. grips my anxiously and stays close to my side.

    "Abby!" I turn my head and smile immediately. Marc pushes through the crowd and makes his way to me. People turn their heads as if realizing me for the first time. None of them would've expected me to be out of the basement already, especially after they all saw me get dragged kicking and screaming down this very hall yesterday.

   "Abby! I'm so sorry that I didn't come but Mr. Norbert caught me and-" I put a finger to his lips and silence him, "It's ok Marc. I wasn't alone." He raises an eyebrow and I gesture to Veronica. His eyes grow wide, "Is that who I think it is?" I nod, "Yes this is Veronica." V. looks up at Marc with curiosity in her eyes. "V. this is my boyfriend Marcus." She blushes slightly and whispers, "Hi."

    In the Great Hall where everyone eats I pile V's and my plate high with pancakes. When I set the plate down in the space in front of where she's sitting her eyes grow wide and her mouth waters. "I haven't eaten pancakes in so long," she whispers. "I think I've forgotten what they taste like!" I smile as I pour half a bottle of maple syrup onto them and Shorty bursts out crying again, "Two four six eight, dig in don't wait!"

    "What's up with Shorty?" Marc whispers as everyone tucks in. "She still can't believe that Veronica is real." I explain. He nods slightly and we eat in silence. "Oh Abs! These are so good I could just eat them all day!" V. says with a mouthful of food. I smile at her empty plate, "Go get some more then!" "I can't! I'm stuffed!" she giggles. The bell sounds and signals class. "Just in time, let's go!"

   "What do we have first?" Hanae asks watching the rest of the students file out. Shorty pulls out her timetable, "Uh... we have Talents now." I groan, "We always have Talents! It's all they ever teach us!" "Well, I don't know what talents are but I bet it's better than math’s!" V. says. Hanae and Shorty gaze at her intently. "What's maths?" I sigh. "V, Hanae and Shorty have lived here their whole lives; they've never been to a normal school or learned maths." "Lucky." V. mumbles.

    We half run half walk to class. "Who do we have?" Hanae shouts. Shorty looks back at her timetable and stops in her tracks. "What?" I ask. "We have Mr. Norbert again." I feel the blood drain from my face. Mr. Norbert. The man who dragged me back to the basement kicking and screaming. Who will surely send me back there if I so much as set foot in his class. V. tugs on my shirt, "Abs? You ok?" I nod and keep walking in the direction of the classroom. "Abby! We can ditch if you like! We've done it before!" I shake my head and keep walking. "No, I must go. I have to prove to everyone that I do have a talent and that it's not dangerous."