Chapter 7

"I see that Miss Drew let you out early Johnson." Mr. Norbert barks in my face. His breath smells of ciggarettes and liquor and I have to try my best not to hurl all over him. I nod, "Yes sir." "And who is this that you've brought into my class?" He asks glaring at Veronica. Hanae steps forward, "New student sir, Veronica Muscott." "How old is she?" I swallow nervously, "Ten sir." "What?! You're telling me that you've brought a ten year old into my class?" "Ye... Yes sir." He glares at me, "You're lucky that that idiot Miss Drew already told me that she was to come into this class or you'd be back in that basement right now."

    "Muscott!" V. flinches slightly and looks up into the face of the instructor. "What talent do you posses that would make Miss Drew enroll you in this class?" She takes a deep breath, "I can run really fast and I don't feel pain." Shock shows on Mr. Norbert's and the rest of the classes' faces. I smirk slightly, no one's ever been able to not feel pain. But of course I already knew, I even metioned it in my story;

    The fall from at least twenty meters high didn't injure the girl, nothing did nowadays. Mr. Norbert's face breaks into a smile, "Ok then, come here girl, we'll have to test that." My jaw drops as V. takes hesitiant steps up to him. He's going to hurt her, I realise. He's going to hurt V! I run and throw my arms between them, "No! You can't hurt her!" "Step aside girl, have you forgotten about that basement already? I could easily send you back there now!"

    My cheeks burn and I clench my fists, "How dare you! You can't just hurt someone purposely! Have you forgotten about the laws the school made? I could easily report you and you could be beheaded!" My screams echo through the silent room. Mr. Norbert's face turns a dark shade of red and he marches out of the room with his nose in the air. He won't quit though, anyone that quits gets killed immedaintly, just incase they spread word obout our special school.

    Everyone looks at me with shock written all over their faces. Then there's deafing applause and cheering as they all rush up to me. Marc hoists me up on his shoulders and everyone gathers 'round, everyone except Nat. "Abby! Abby!" they all chant. "Yay Abs!" V. cries hugging Shorty while jumping up and down. Hanae beams and whoops for me. Everyone keeps chanting and laugh excitedly. Never have I ever been shown so much respect by my fellow students, sure I was already known by getting sent to the basement so many times but now, I'm going to be known as the only one to make Mr. Norbert snap.

Suddenly someone calls out, "Tell us a story!" I look to see Nat standing off to the side staring at me intently. She was the one that had said it. "Go on, it is your talent after all. It'll be a perfect way to celebrate." The crowd around me nods earnestly. I laugh, "Ok ok! I'll tell you guys a story." Everyone cheers again and Marc sets me down on the floor.

   They all goes to sit down around me and V. tugs lightly on my shirt, "Abs, I want you to tell them what happened to Paulo." My mouth drops, "V! You know I can't do that!" "Well tell them them how I died then!" I sigh and nod. She smiles and runs over to sit inbetween Shorty and Hanae. I take a deep breath, "Due to a request I'm going to tell a story that I've already told to some people, and you may notice that Veronica's in it."

    People raise their eyebrows and murmur to each other so I hold up a hand to silence them. "Many of you must be wondering why she's in it if she only joined school today. Well that's because I took her out of it. Yes, Veronica was a character in a story I created. Don't ask me how, it just happened." V. smiles and Hanae gives me the thumbs up. I take a deep breath, but don't begin at where I first did where Paulo ran through the woods or where V. was waiting for him in a tree, I start somewhere between there;

"Veronica looks down at her brother from where she perches in a tree, "You'll be back soon right Paulo?" she asks him anxiously. He smiles weakly, "Whatever happens, I'll always come back." She nods slightly and hugs her rabbit doll closer to her chest. He weaves his way silently between trees gripping his knife tightly. "Relax Paulo, they want to make a deal that's all." he whispers to himself. Eventually he comes to a small clearing and sees them there. A huge bunch of people, a tribe Paulo realizes, sitting around a bonfire gazing adoringly to a boy the same age as him. Two girls, probably as old as Veronica, cling to him giggling. In fact, most of the people here are children like him!"

    I stop to take in everyone's reaction's for a second and my eyes settle on V. who is shaking with fury. Not for me, but for her brother because she thought that he'd left to get food, not to meet with a tribe full of children.

"The boy smiles smugly, "Ah so you've finally come to visit us Paulo! I was beggining to worry," he chuckles and signals to two boys that sit near him. "Vigarious! Xian! Bring him." They immediately flank Paulo's sides and push him toward the other boy. "You summoned me Tristan?" Paulo mumbles. "Ah yes! I have a proposal for you!" Paulo raises an eyebrow, Since when does Tristan ever make proposals? He wonders. "You can have your pick of any female here if, " he smiles wickedly. "You give me your sister."

    "What kind of proposal is that!" Paulo screams. "I'm not giving you my sister! And I don't want any of your women! It's hard enough to feed myself these days!" "I will make sure that nethier of you will ever hunger again." Tristan adds slyly. Paulo stops to think about this, all he's ever wanted is for Veronica to fall asleep for once with a full stomach, but he can't let Tristan have her! He won't let Tristan have her!

    "What do you think this is Tristan?" Paulo asks. "This isn't a game where you can just saunter around and sleep with any girl that catches your eye! We're in the middle of a war for goodness sake!" Tristan's smile vanishes, "You think I don't know that? I spend every day wondering if it's my last, wondering if those things are going to find us!" Paulo shakes his head, "Whatever Tristan. Consider the answer to your proposal as a no." He turns to leave only to find the two boys, Vigarious and Xian, blocking his path.

    "Oh I think you'll change your mind, after all, we can easily kill your sister." Paulo's face grows pale, "You wouldn't." "Trust me I would, and will if I don't get what I want."