Chapter 1: New beginnings

I open my apartment door, slip on my coat and heels, hurriedly rushing out to the apartment hallway. Tucking my hair behind my ear I -

"Oof!"

I groan as I land on the floor on my butt. I look up to see my new neighbor, Frank. We moved into this apartment at the same time a few weeks ago, and it's been hell ever since.
"Hey, Frank," I mumble out through gritted teeth. I look up at his face finally. Why does he actually have to look decent, and not like a goblin or something? His lowered red eyes stare at me, a small grin in his eyes. You see, when I fell, he did too. His floppy brown hair in a mess, he starts, "Woah I'm so sorr-"
" It's alright Frank" I groan and enunciate saying his name. He gets up quickly and smiles, a small but genuine smile he winks at me as well. I blush at the prick and start feeling like this is not the sort of relationship where he would give me that kind of heart-melting smile or wink. Wait, did I just say heart-melting? Well, that's totally wrong. He's such a jerk. You see, I and frank started off, well, not that good. We have had a total of three conversations together in our lives. It follows (in chronological order):

1. We met when he knocked on my door announcing that he was new to the neighborhood. He stood in the doorframe with his signature suit on and his signature smirk sitting on his face. He came at the worst time for new introductions. I groan at the new stranger in my doorway and look behind me. You see, I had just had a one-night stand with a random dude and he showed up (uninvited might I add) just as I was trying to throw the rando out. The conversation goes like this:
"Hi, I'm Frank and I'm new to the apartment complex."

"Hi, I uh- Hey! Get down from there you stupid cat! Oh... hello Frank- hey dude! You need to leave! Don't eat my food! I was saving that for myself!!"
Frank looks at me, a bit perplexed and a hint of a smile in his eyes.
"Frank yes, hello, my name is y/n." I reach out my hand to shake it hurriedly and he stares in disbelief for a second before politely shaking it.
I didn't hate him at this point, but the second instance changes everything. 

2. "CLAUDIA!" I yell, storming out to the hallway. My cat has run out of my apartment, I think, and I am looking for the son of a bitch. I stomp out to the end of the hallway, where a small sitting area exists with a large bay window residing next to it. The sun has started to set and the cool air breezes through the open window, showing the high view from our apartment complex floor. I slowly move my eyes up to the finely dressed man with black leather shoes on and a black pair of slacks to match. The black blazer that he always manages to wear sits tight enough against his frame to show his toned, but not overly huge muscles as the white button-down stretches against his chest. He sits with Claudia right next to him, frank lightly petting my stupidly cute cat's head and staring at the new sunset. He murmurs to the cat something I can't hear. My watchful eyes witness this moment of gentleness, kindness as my heart registers the man that I didn't even try to get to know when he came by my house. He gazes out at the sunset with Claudia and I can faintly hear the purring from where I'm standing. My heart skips a beat while I stare at the sharp lines and soft eyes that Frank has and I remember the point of going out here. Get cat. Make pasta for me. Sleep alone like always.

"Where did you get my cat!" I angrily half say half yell. Frank looks up, snapped out of his watchful gaze, and protectively places a hand on Claudia, seeing if me, the perceived stranger, is a threat. 

"You should pay more attention to her," he says. Of course, he's trying to one-up me by telling me how to cat-parent! I narrow my eyes.
"And why are you allowed to take my cat and tell me what to do?!" I actually yell this time. He messed with the wrong bitch.

He raises his hands in mock innocence and stands his ground. 

"I'm just worried about how she got outside." He crosses his arms as Claudia rubs her head against his thigh while he stands in front of me. 

"I really don't know why you care so much about my cat, whom you've never met before." I poke my finger at his chest and keep my narrowed eyes staring into his deep red ones. 

I can see his hard breathing and his flushed face close from the distance that separates us. I must look like a crazed person, my hair is thrown up and my half-dressed body shows my chest, with only a lacy bra and shorts to cover myself up. We both seem to finally notice this and I watch as Frank grazes my body with a look that makes me blush red, my body glowing as he slowly makes his way down, stopping at my thighs and lingering there for a moment longer. He makes his way back up and I can see his face tinted red and his dark eyes are practically undressing me. Stupid, stupid man. 

"You're a fucking asshat, you know that?" I say, my legs forcing myself forward as push his chest back a little. 

I can't let him feel anything towards me, or else I will break him. I always do. Destructive y/n is what I am. Always breaking and scaring away the people that I let in. 

I scoop up Claudia while walking past a silent Frank, his eyes now looking at me with a guilty emotion. 

3. This one was more simple. I walked over to his house to deliver cookies, as new neighbors do, and to apologize for calling him a 'fucking asshat', which was an over-reaction. When I showed up, he invited me in. Sounds innocent, right? No. When I sat down at his kitchen island, I spotted a note with my name on the table. I couldn't read much of what it said, for he swiped away the evidence with a blush on his face. Huh. 
I started arguing with him about it for a good solid five minutes, but he wouldn't budge on what it was. I stole back a cookie and ran out of his apartment, only being able to feel shocked.  I thought about that letter for weeks. Still do. What did it say? Why was he writing about me? Is it a note? So many unanswered things with my interactions with frank.
Anyways, back to reality.

Me sitting on the floor, probably looking disheveled with my messily thrown together hair and my rushed makeup. Frank is standing right in front of me. He offers a hand, a friendly, but fake-looking smile plastered on his face. I glare at the peace offering, or whatever it is, and start getting up by myself. I push myself up as I start talking.
"You know Frank, I always wondered why you wear a suit all the time. Do you have a super fancy job or something?" He looks amused as I start pushing myself up.
"Well-"
A loud boom as I fall to my butt again. My very expensive heel decided to break at the best time possible. I stare down at the broken heel in defeat. I look back up at frank and give a pleading smile. His hand is already stretched out in another peace offering to help me up. I begrudgingly take it. I sigh at the connection of our hands. The warmth seeps into my always seemingly cold hand. I haven't had a nice human contact like this in ages. Sure, I've been with other guys, but it's only been hook-ups. Never something this intimate. I look up and frank is staring at me with a look that I can't seem to read. Awe, maybe? I give him a final once-over, briefly looking at his tall frame, soft-looking brown hair, and long curved nose. His red eyes fill my heart with unrecognizable emotion. I let go of his hand, but at what cost? I stare down at the broken shoe that I just removed and mutter, "there goes my most expensive and favorite pair of heels." I roll my eyes at my pettiness overshoes. Frank laughs a little at my stupid joke, a sound i am hearing for the first time. In actual happiness or only because he feels bad for me, it's most likely the latter.
"Well. Thanks for helping me get up, even if it did cost me a pair of shoes."
I walk back to my apartment, still feeling Frank's gaze at my back, and a fresh blush reaches my face.