Chapter 1: End Of The Road

It was the last fence, the almighty towering thing that stood between the pair and the path to glory and fail to winning Badminton Horse Trials. It had a spread that looked like a gaping mouth and the height looked like a skyscraper. I felt Dylan powering underneath me, giving everything. Heart beat to heart beat, breath to breath, hoof to hoof. Everything in sync and slow motion. I felt him bundle up beneath me to take the giant leap and -

I landed to Earth with a thud. Dylan ran off in the opposite direction, reins around his neck, stirrups flapping, snorting and bucking in disgust. The imagined "skyscraper" jump was only a little 2 footer, in our small arena and there were no crowds, only my imagination. Sighing I picked myself up and went to catch Dylan. The little geldings heart was racing and he was still snorting.

"Had enough for the day then boy?" I said softly as I stroked his neck. I lead the 19 year old gelding away and back into his stable; today was the day we officially removed him from eventing and retired him. We had been competing together for four years, and had made our way up from beginner's standard to CSI1*. We had decided to retire him after my fall at Stockholm, as he no longer loved to jump and often refused. What's the point in pushing a horse to do something that he no longer loves? Also being 19 and coming so far together was incredible! But now was the time to turn him out with Snowball for the rest of his years as a happy hacking horse and companion.

But today was also a good note, Ben and Casey were coming home from their honeymoon and I was going to break in four year old Dusty, Dylan's very own filly, and his last foal. Already standing at 15.2hh and being almost identical except for a small dusty brown colour patch on her flanks and already showing signs of having a scopey jump with almost as perfect paces, I was excited!

I removed all of Dylan's tack including my beloved Wintec jumping saddle, but leaving his faded blue head collar on, I lead him out to the field. I slipped the head collar off and gave him a hug before he slowly slumbered away into the field before turning round and trotting back, nuzzling my hand, then walking away to graze. I stood there for a while watching him, bringing tears to my eyes as I noticed for the first time how old he looked. Grey patches sprang up, and a tired looking expression covered his once young face and eyes. I love this horse way too much, and it hurts to think that we will no longer be seen out in competition again. With a sigh I turned away and walked back onto the yard; hanging up his head collar and the remaining tack before then picking up the phone. I dialed the number before pressing it to my ear

"FEI Eventing, Julie speaking, how may I help you?" a soft Italian voice picked up the phone
"Hi, It's Lily Young? I would like to pull my horse Dylan out from future events please."
"Ah Lily! Yep sure. May I ask the reason please so I can tell the international board?"
"Uh I've decided to retire him."
"You're retiring Dylan?! The great show jumper who has most courage ever?!" She exclaimed
"Yeah he just doesn't like jumping anymore. Plus he's 19" I shrugged it off, trying to swallow the lump in my throat.
"Okay, he's been pulled from all future events, do you have a stand in horse or are you also pulling yourself out?"
"I'm also pulling myself out."

I received a sigh, followed by a load of tapping.

"Okay thank you. Is there anything else I can do?"

"No thank you, Julie. Have a good day." I said before ending the call and placing the phone down on the hook. I walked out of the office and headed down to the tack room. I picked up Dylan's bridle and felt the cold leather on my hand, small cracks here and there, small scratches in his bit from where he often chomped away before entering the arena. I placed it back down on its hook, grabbed my tack cleaning kit, then picked up the bridle and began taking it to pieces, saying goodbye to the many of the memories engraved on the bridle. The saddle was resting upon its rack, and once I finished the bridle, I began to work away at his saddle, martingale, girth and stirrup leathers. My Wintec Jumping Saddle was by far my favourite bit of tack, it fitted Dylan perfectly, and was comfy for the both of us. Not only this, but it also looked smooth and flashy, secretly its my good luck saddle, or at least I believe it is. Once all of his tack was gleaming and looking brand new again, I replaced it all back in the tack room and covered it, not knowing when I would look at it again because for us, today was the end of the road of the infamous duo.