Their Encounter

December 24, 1883
Tondo, Maynila
1:57pm

Blanca was working in a loud and busy street in a big market. Her mother asked her if she could get something in Plaza del Mercado, but she got stuck in the waves of people rushing and pushing.

"Blanca!" Someone called her, but she doesn't know where it came from.

While struggling to walk through, a horse suddenly went out of control and ran recklessly.

"A horse! It's running towards us! Run!"

The situation got out of control, and the people were in chaos. A rough hand grabbed Blanca out of the street.

"Ambo! Where have you been?" she exclaimed.

"I went back to see you, but you weren't in your stall," the fisherman said.

They ran through an alley and stopped to catch their breath.

"My goodness, Ambrosio! You... you can't just drag me out of nowhere... what if I fell in that crowd?" she complained.

"I'll catch you then! I'll even catch your heart as a bonus-" Blanca slapped his shoulders playfully.

"You're so cheesy! Do you want to catch these hands instead?" she retorted.

Ambrosio apologized and continued to walk to the plaza. They bought a few materials that Blanca's mother needed. While she wasn't looking, he went near a pond to pick some colorful flowers and hid them in his small bag.

"It will be Christmas soon, where will your family go?" he asked.

"My mom decided that we will just celebrate with Doña Fatima and her family."

"Oh right... for your engagement with Don Sergio..." he felt disheartened.

"Come on, don't be like that. Although he is kind, you're more fun than him." She tried to comfort his childhood friend, but he only sighed. His mind sank on deep thoughts, he couldn't even hear the noisy crowd.