Chapter 3 - Can we talk?

I do not own the divergent characters, they belong to the amazing Veronica Roth, I'm just borrowing them :)

Tris' POV

Today was meant to be special. But now I'm stood by the net with Tobias' eyes burning into the back of me. I can feel the tension like a brick wall.

'Can we talk?', Tobias says in a small shy voice. I turn towards him,

'Sure', I reply, my voice hollow and cold, I didn't mean for it to sound like that. Its not like I'm angry anymore, just hurting.

'Not now, tonight, in private, we can go for a...walk...maybe', he says staring at his feet.

'I guess' I say, 'can I count on you turning up this time?', I try to say it almost like a joke to lighten the mood I suppose, but it comes out thick and my voice breaks half way through. The room is quiet until an initiate lands in the net screaming and shouting until Tobias' arms reach past me and steady it. It's a young abnegation girl, she has dark hair and eyes but reminds me of myself.

'What's your name?' I ask as I help her off the net, she doesn't answer.

'Well?', Tobias asks, 'is it a hard one?' He catches my eye as he says it because its exactly what he said to me. My throat starts to tighten.

'Um, Evelyn', she starts, 'wait no, Evie, Evie.' she corrects herself. My throat is so tight I can barely get the sentence out.

'First Jumper - Evie' I shout it loud so my voice sounds distorted because of the volume rather than emotion.

The rest of the initiates arrive in a blur. And within no time at all I hear myself shouting:

'Dauntless born follow Lauren and Uriah! Transfers your with us! I'm Six and this is Four'. I hear a few snickers throughout the crowd but only one - some candor girl - speaks out.

'What happened to 1, 2 and 3? Oh wait was 5 already taken too?' Before I can even process the similarity of her and Chris, Tobias is in her face with the same - if I wanted to put up with candor smart mouths I would've joined their faction - talk from last year. All the transfers are stunned. Apart from the girl who originally spoke out; she just laughs. Tobias raises his arm, prepared to punch the girl so I slide in between and curl my hand round his fist 'No Four, she's not worth it', I say. His contorted face relaxes and he steps back shocked at what I did. My hand is still on his fist but we both stay there a while before I realize where we are and what's going on. I move away and clear my throat.

'Follow me!' I shout and give them a short tour of the compound before dropping them off at their dorms. The initiates this year are mostly boys only a few girls. There's no one from amity but Evie from abnegation, Matthew, David and Alesha from Erudite and Albert, Abigail, Cameron, Jay and Lee from Candor. I tell them to meet at the training room in 10 minutes so we can start training.

We are 30 minutes into training already and no one has hit the target. Eventually it becomes so torturous watching we dismiss them and seconds after the last initiate has left, Tobias is by my side telling me to trust him.

'I'm giving you twenty minutes Tobias, I haven't got time for this.' I tell him. My whole night is free but I can't risk breaking and showing him how much he really hurt me this morning.

'That's fine, good, thank you,' he says blushing, 'follow me, I hope this isn't to little too late Tris.' He covers my eyes and leads me down until it feels like we're right by the chasm. I can feel the icy water splashing my exposed legs. I start to grow impatient.

'Tobias we are literally at the chasm, whatever private conversation we need to have, I'm sure no one else can hear.' There's no reply 'Tobias?' I add. We start to walk away from the chasm again, and instead of water I hear the crackle of a fire, he removes his hands from my eyes.

'What...' I trail off. We are inside a cave next to the chasm, there is a large bonfire and a small table with Dauntless cake on it, our favorite. Is this where he's been most mornings? Bringing the furniture down here? Finding a special place? Tears start to well up in my eyes. I turn round to look at him, he's grinning from ear to ear 'Happy One Year Anniversary Beautiful' he says. I bury my head in his shoulder and start to sob.

'I love you so much Tobias Eaton. I'm so sorry I doubted you!' I say and crush my mouth to his, tears running down my face. We kiss for a while, our mouths colliding perfectly, as one.

'I love you too, Tris Prior, am I forgiven?'

'Always' I smile and hug him as tight as I can. I will never let him slip through my fingers.

Well, how cute is Tobias? Thanks for reading as always, I hope you enjoyed it! Please remember to vote!

-Holly :)