"why the fuck are short people so mf scary."

Start from the beginning

"i'm sorry, but what the fuck," minhee hisses, "what in the fuck are you insinuating?"

being told that him, kang minhee, of all people, was "leading hyeongjun on" was an insult. being told that his, his seungwoo hyung, was fucking around with a student, was literally fucking slander.

dongpyo shoves minhee away aggressively and minhee doesn't even care when his hip slams the corner of the kitchen island and the entire tray of spices rattle loudly against the metal canister.

"you know what the fuck i mean!" dongpyo hisses back, "why else would you be calling professor han hyung, o-or even knowing a-about me a-and him, and knowing —"

"okay, hold up. pause." minhee raises his hand to cut dongpyo off, while using the other to pinch the bridge of his nose. he swears he has a headache coming on. "i think. that you are gravely misunderstanding my situation."

"what? that you're fucking with seungwoo hyung while playing around with hyeongjunnie?" dongpyo demands angrily, and minhee shushes him because fuck why is he so tiny but his voice so goddamn loud? him and seongmin would be great friends —

okay back to the problem here.

"you called seungwoo hyung, hyung too," minhee points out his slip, and that's when dongpyo explodes.

"well, why can't i? h-he is like a hyung to me! he-he actually listens to me a-a-and gives me advice and we've hung out together during school b-break and we —" wow, red is a very fitting color on dongpyo, minhee thinks wryly, as the smaller kid rambles while attempting to look intimidating by squaring his shoulders. but against a whole ass 187cm kang minhee? not a chance in hell.

"well, maybe i'm calling him hyung, because he is literally my hyung," minhee deadpans, "he's my brother-in-law, you fucking dumbass."

dongpyo's shoulders go lax, and his furious expression schools into a face of pure disbelief.

"excuse me? "

"well, it isn't official. but yeah, seungwoo hyung and wooseok hyung are fucking, they're now happily engaged, and i'm his soon-to-be brother-in-law," minhee states matter-of-factly, "and i am not happy that you made me use fucking and my hyungs in the same sentence."

"you didn't have to, you could've just said they were engaged and go," dongpyo snarks back, before realization dawns on him and he hides his face behind his hands, "oh my god."

"yeah."

"no. you. shut up."

"mmhmm."

"oh my fucking god."

"i seriously can't believe you thought me and hyung were f —"

"i just insulted seungwoo hyung's brother-in-law, i am the worst best man ever." minhee snaps his head at dongpyo at that remark.

"excuse me, don't you mean me?"

dongpyo huffs and removes his hands, his typical iconic resting bitch face returning without mercy.

"don't be silly, you can be your brother's best man," dongpyo sniffs curtly.

"but my brother's best man is jinhyuk —"

"hmm, tragic."

minhee suddenly remembers why he doesn't like this kid again.

at that moment, he recalls the scathing words he said back in the lecture, and a heavy weight settles in the pit of his stomach. he may not know the full story of how dongpyo and seungwoo were so close, but after hearing dongpyo's little confession, he kind of gets the gist of it.

"hey, son-ssi —"

"just call me dongpyo at this point, we're gonna be seeing each other at the wedding anyway i don't care —"

"yeah okay, dongpyo, i'm sorry too," minhee gulps slowly, looking down to meet the succinct glare of son dongpyo, who is definitely giving off "bad cop" vibes now with his intensified bitch stare and eyebrow raise, "the stuff i said about you and seungwoo hyung earlier? yeah, all lies. i got angry and it got the better of me."

minhee bites his lip and wonders if he's seriously doing this kid a favor after all the shit he's said.

"seungwoo hyung...really does care for you a lot. so. don't worry about it."

silence befalls them, and dongpyo looks away. minhee suspects he's crying again, except there's a tiny relieved smile growing on the smaller boy's face. it's hidden by the shadows of his bangs, but it's definitely there.

"of course he does, look at me, i'm lovable," dongpyo sniffs, "i never doubted his love for a second."

liar, minhee thinks semi-fondly, and then retracts that statement. no way in hell will he ever consider son dongpyo as someone he's ever going to think even remotely nicely of. ever.

now that they're both here though, that still begs the question of —

"what is your deal with me and hyeongjun anyway?" minhee inquires seriously, "and don't give me that 'i don't know what you mean' bullshit your hostility back then had to come out of somewhere."

a beat passes, and the room temperature plummets.

a shiver runs up minhee's spine when a menacing, shark-like smirk crosses dongpyo's expression, and his sharp gaze immediately turns steely. minhee backs up as dongpyo stalks towards him, like a predator towards its prey. he doesn't realise he's completely backed up himself up against the kitchen island when dongpyo presses forward, smirk turning a little spicy-sweet, hands held innocently behind his back, chin upturned cockily.

"because my cute little hyeongjunnie is my bestest friend in the world," dongpyo singsongs in that sweet, mildly chilling way of his, "and i'd rather be dead than to give him away to someone he's barely even known for less than six years, much less a week."

dongpyo prowls forward again, and minhee holds onto the table behind him. the expression on his face is as deadpan and wide-eyed as ever, but on the inside he's absolutely fucking terrified.

"and if, if you, kang minhee," dongpyo suddenly tiptoes and whispers directly into minhee's ear, and the taller boy shudders at the sensation of dongpyo's breath against his ear, "if you dare try anything to our hyeongjunnie without his consent —"

dongpyo slowly draws a finger against his throat — a universal sign that does not need to be explained, and minhee gulps.

"well...i don't really need to explain what's gonna happen, hmm?"

dongpyo withdraws slowly, eyeing minhee up and down. the silence is thick, and dongpyo shoots minhee one last smile before turning his back on him so he can attend to his ramyeon. minhee's knees buckle — not that he's ever going to admit it — and a breath of relief rushes out of him.

yeah.

midgets really were the spawn of satan.