Chapter Three

Almost at our house, I saw my mother leaning out against the door. She was talking to a man. She look so weak. I wonder how important the conversation is that she had to come out in her weak state.

Then I glanced at the man she was talking to. He looked familiar but I couldn't make out of it because he was facing my mother and I can only see his back. But the familiarity is strong.

'Who is that with mother? Christian asked curiously "I don't...." I was cut off by Christine. "Shit! That's the landlord! Gosh what is he saying to mum?

I ran towards them with my siblings following from behind. I know how annoying and frustrating the man can be. I don't want him stressing my mother or even worsening her condition.

I reached them and my mother looked relieved to see us. I was right. He was stressing her. I felt angry about this. He is supposed to consider her condition and just wait for us to come back or better still leave. How would he? He doesn't care. All he wants is his pay.

"Mum" she looked at me, about to say something when he decided to interrupt. "Elma" He smiles. As if it was pleasing to have him here. "I was just talking to your mother about the..." "The rent? I know" I cut him off angrily but he wasn't upset about my behavior. "Yes. Glad you know. So when am I getting it? "

I sighed. "Sir we haven't raised the money yet. I beg that you give us some days if possible weeks" I noticed how my last words changed his mood. He shifted from a smiling face to an angry face.

"Is this supposed to be some kind of a joke or something? Weeks?!" He should as if it was one of the disgusting words even to be heard.

Looking at me with anger and disdain. I won't lie but it scared me a little but the thought of my family chased away my fears and I know that's just what I needed to handle things.

"Sir we are not joking. We don't have money. Our mother is sick and we can't afford money for her treatment" my sister spoke up but I motioned that she let me handle this.

"Well.. if you can't afford to pay me my money then prepare to live on the damn streets!" He yelled making the four of us to flinch at the sound of his voice. " Sir please... Ta..take it easy please... We will I'll pay you" my mother spoke up weakly and I hated all this happening now.

"Mrs Patrick I want my money now. You owe me for more than three freaking months! I won't have such stupid Mercy on you people! You knew you can't afford the smallest house in Sinon yet you came to live in it. I know that your family are the poorest but I didn't know that you are also senseless!" He yelled again.

This time I wasn't the only one that got angered but my siblings also

"Look sir you..." I stopped my mother from talking and moved closer to the landlord. "Elma.." my mother called but I raised my right hand. I don't want her interfering. I looked straight into his eyes. He had clear brown eyes and little wrinkles on his face. He was looking at me with anger and I didn't care if he is same age as my father. He was insulting my family and that is what I don't take for jokes.

"With all due you respect sir, you don't have to insult us. We might be poor but we are also humans like you not animals."I spoke with a whole lot courage in my voice but deep down was a little bit of fear but glad I could suppress it.

"You dare talk to me like that? You little.." "Mind your words Sir!" My brother snapped "Don't insult my elder sister and my family"

The landlord smirked in an evil way and I was not pleased with the fact that my brother was defending me because I prefer to deal with our matters alone and not allow any of my family get involved. I don't like it when they are insulted talk more of getting into trouble. I rather be the one in trouble knowing that they are safe

"I see that you, even the youngest among you all" he looked at Christian and then to all of us. "have grown wings that you could talk to me the way you please, regardless of the fact that you owe me money" I rolled my eyes to his statement. His eyes fell on me and I looked at him waiting to hear what he has to say. What else does he has to say other than 'i will kick you out of my house'

"I will kick you out of my house!" He yelled. Just as I imagined. "Please ignore her. She is just a child." My mother spoked up again in her weak tune. I felt both pain and anger. She reminded me of my place as just an Eighteen year old and should'nt be talking to an elder like that.

"This is between me, my husband and you. Leave my children out of this. We will pay you the money. Just give us few days" she pleaded and I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She was lean and looking washed out. Her sickness is getting worse.

"I want my money in four days and after that four days and I don't get my money.." he smirks "I won't hesitate to throw you and your worthless children out of my damn house!" He yells. I was angry at all his insults. My siblings were also not taking it likely.

"You are lucky I still have some mercies to spare but just for your sake Mrs Patrick" "Thank you sir" she sighed

He looked at me with venom in his eyes and walk out. I sighed and turn to my mother who just had a blank face and slowly entered inside. Christine assisted her and my brother followed them. I was the only one outside.

Thinking about how we are supposed to raise money in four days. That man didn't spare us at all. Talking about mercies, he just added to our burden. Cause with a deadline this is going to be hard but I will have to try. My family can't be on the streets. No. I have to work harder than I do and I have to do it fast. Oh God please.. I looked up the sky... I have begged and begged. Can he even hear me? This is not how his children are supposed to be living. We are in abject poverty and it's breaking my heart. My mum is seriously ill. And my dad... gosh. I can't even say worse. He is always away.

At first we thought he was out hustling but not when I heard from some gossipers that he usually drink at the most popular store in town. I couldn't believe them until he came back home extremely wasted.

He continued coming back home every night in the same state. The man has gotten to my siblings nerves. Am still hoping that he change. We need him, I need him to help out in our situation. Am going to convince him to use his drink money to pay for our rent. Of course I know, that will be very difficult. So frustrating.

I was tired getting tired of all the thoughts coming up on my head. The stress is too much and a big threat for my age. I need to stop but I can't. Family needs me. Oh God I will do anything to bring us out of this poverty.

About to enter the house when I felt something. I looked afar and I sight a familiar person approaching in a abnormal way..... my dad. He was wasted. It's half past three in the afternoon why is he... I sighed rubbing my temple in frustration.

He fell to the ground and there he passed out.

Oh man...

Hope you are enjoying the story? I hope so. Elma's father is not helping at all. Well what do we say? Life has never been fair.
Anyways, I know you want to know about the main male character already. Sorry I kept him waiting. Next chapter aii😁?

Please vote for me and comment.