Chapter one

Elma's POV

In our small house in a small town called Sinon, my mother, lying on the bed down with fever. The doctor has prescribed drugs for her but we can't afford to buy it because of we can't afford it. My siblings, Christine and Christian has been taking care of her while I go out to hustle. Now they carry long faces showing fustration. My mother's health hasn't improved at all and things are extremely hard.

My father is jobless and not helping as the head of the family. He either goes out and come back home late and druck or he stays at home all day giving complains about us and our situation. As much as this annoys me, I still don't have the courage to caution him and remind him about his responsibilities towards the family. My mother being the only one that talk sense into him is too weak to even talk.

Our state is more like that of a church rat. Even less. We barely eat thrice a day, school is a different case all together. I drop out of high school, almost done with it but I had to leave because of my mother's condition. As if that's not enough problem, my siblings were chased out of school because of school fees. They 've been at home for the past one month now. Our house, awful. We live in a very small house that has just two rooms, a bathroom and toilet combined together. We are quite away from the other people living in Sinon and have the poorest looking building around. People don't associate with us, some treat us like we have some kind of disease or virus.

The thought of our state makes me want to cry and ask why our fate has to be like this. I have beautiful dreams but it seems impossible to come true because things are hard... Extremely!. I have to take care of my mother, my twin siblings and of course my father. If there is something I could do to change our condition to a better one I would do it without looking back.

I was snapped out of my deep thoughts by my sister. "Elma". I looked at her, "yes?" She looked pale and sad.

"What are we going to do about this condition? Mum needs at least one medicine from the drug lists." I sighed in frustration and said "Christine there is no money on me right now. And besides Christian has gone to see if he will get any money from his friends to buy the drugs" She look at our mother who is asleep and said " I hope he finds something cause if not I don't know what we are going to do" I sighed.

My mum coughs and Christine and I said sorry to her and she said to us "Tha... Thank you my children" she coughs again. "Where is your father?" "He is not yet back" I said. "That man is not worthy to be called the man of this house" Christine said angrily and I understood her reasons for saying that but i don't support her because he is still out father. "Don't say that Christine, he is our father no matter what" " He should act like one Elma" she said with tears in her eyes. I pull close to her and hug her. " I don't like what he is doing to us, his family" l sighed and felt my cheeks going wet as well.

"Don't cry Christine honey, I will be fine okay" my mother spoked weakly and Christine cries the more. "Stop crying little sis, we don't want to worsen mum condition do we?" She nods no and wipe her tears.

Christian enters the house with a small bag. "Am home!" I stood up and rush towards him.

"Did you succeed?" He smiled and said "of course I succeeded, don't you know me? Am this family's lucky charm" I smiled and collected the bag and looking inside I saw that he bought almost all the prescribed drugs and I was happy.

"You sure are Christian" I said to him and he smiled and went to sit beside our mother. "How is she?" He asked. "Not changed" Christine replied. "Well since the drug is here, I think she will be fine" I said happily. Christian sighed unhappily and I noticed the change on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked him. He nodded "Nothing" I doubted it cause I know him well as much I know myself and Christine. "You know I don't buy that. Tell me please" He looked at me and then mum and at me again "can't tell you in front of mum" he said.
By this I noticed that that another problem is about to arise. I gestured that we go to the other room.

"Give her the drug Christine" I told her. "Okay". Christian and I moved to the other room. " What's up?" He looked down and said " The landlord stopped me on my way home, he told me he will be coming for his rent in a week and if we are not able to pay we will be on the streets" I was looking at him with frustration and anger and said "Damn it!" I sighed. I moved towards the window. Tears was threatening. Why are we so unfortunate? I felt like my whole world is trembling. We haven't gotten the money to take care of my mother and now this rent issue. What are am I going to do?

"What are we going to do sis? Where are we going to get his money from? We hardly raise money for mum's drugs and now this?" He spoke out of anger and frustration.

I turned to him and said " Seriously Christian, I don't know. Everything is just too much for me. I just don't know" I run my fingers through my hair and went into the other room where my mother was lying. I watched as Christine feeds her drugs and tears could'nt hold but flow freely on my face. Christian came behind me and hug me. We have to figure out something or else we will not only be poor but poor family living on the streets.

Loving the view? I guess so. Hey! Of course no condition is permanent. But live has some many things to offer why will it let one thing be permanent? Anyways, Chapter two coming right away. Hope you are enjoying it while you read?

Note: Name of places in this book are just fiction.

Pls vote and comment. Most Important 😉