Chapter 12

Kate's POV

It was Leo's birthday three weeks later. I was the first one to wake up that morning. I looked at him for a short time. He looked so peaceful and dreamy. I was absolutely lost in his beauty when I remembered I had to hurry up. I sneaked out of the bedroom and went downstairs as quiet as possible, trying my best not to wake him up. I made breakfast when I heard Bear coming downstairs. I made a gesture to show him to be quiet. "Good morning mummy. What's going on here?", he whispered. "It's uncle Leo's birthday today.", I whispered back, "When he comes downstairs, I will count to three and we'll sing 'Happy Birthday' together, okay?" Bear nodded. He smiled at me and I pecked a kiss on his head.

Leo's POV

I woke up to see that Kate wasn't lying next to me anymore. Then I remembered it was my birthday. My mom would come over. She was in Germany visiting friends. I went downstairs. Kate and Bear both sang 'Happy Birthday' for me. It made me really happy. Kate walked towards me and cupped my face. "Happy birthday, darling. I love you.", she said, kissing me briefly, "I didn't get you anything, since you always insist on getting no presents." "That's perfectly fine. I've got everything I could ever wish for right here with me." Kate knew what I was talking about and gave me a hug. Now I turned to Bear. "Happy birthday, uncle Leo!", he said while hugging me.

We had breakfast, when Bear asked: "Are there any guests coming today?" "Mia and Joe are coming over and your grandparents. And uncle Leo's mum, as well.", Kate answered. "I've never met your mummy, uncle Leo. Is she nice?" "She's very nice. And I'm sure you'll like her very much.", I assured him.

Kate's POV

It was a nice little party. Mia and Joe already knew about the divorce. I told Leo's mum as well. She was really shocked and sort of proud of Leo for being there for me. When Irmelin and I were alone in the kitchen, she turned to me. "You know, you mean the world to him. He would never let you down." Her German accent was really cute, "When he's at home, he talks about you all the time. You're the only person he talks about. He never talks about his supermodel girlfriends." "Really?", I asked confused. She nodded and continued: "He never said this himself. But I think he loves you." She left me absolutely speechless.