Chapter 35

More months followed without any word from the three. During those months, I have been thinking about whether I should leave and have decided that I will. In a fortnight, I'll be back in the 20th century.

"I cannot believe you've decided to leave Florence to be back in England. I thought you said you have nothing left there?" Semiramide pouts as we sit by the banks of Arno while making flower crowns. She has insisted I make her lots of them every day before I leave as no one will do it for her anymore.

It hurts to leave them behind but now that I know about making the stone to bring me back to my time, I can finally leave. I no longer see any hindrance to it as it appears I cannot even say goodbye to Botticelli or Da Vinci anymore.

After all, they have recently closed the inn. They must have gone far away from me. "I know, but I need to be back there. I don't belong here anyway."

Semiramide's neck snaps towards me upon hearing my statement. "Of course, you belong here! You are like a sister to me. I thought we're family?"

Frustrated, her brows creases as she pouts. "You are my family too but I have to. Believe me, it's too complicated."

"Is it because of Messer Botticelli?"

The mention of his name felt like a heavy liquid inside my chest. "No, little one. It's not because of him. Why would you think he's the reason?"

Semiramide shrugs nonchalantly as she looks at the river. "I noticed the way you look at him sometimes. It's the same way Giuliano would look at you whenever he's around."

Not wanting to feed the fire, I decided to only smile and continue with the flower crowns. I was halfway done when a shadow casts over us. When I look up, I thought it was Giuliano but upon shielding my eyes, I realize it was Lorenzo.

I immediately stood up in shock at his presence. "Messer," I said with my lips parting in fright.

He slightly bows his head toward me and Semiramide. "Please, call me Lorenzo."

Despite how soft his expression is, it's difficult to ignore the harshness of his voice. "What can I do for you, Lorenzo?"

He was about to say something when his eyes switch down to Semiramide and then to me. "May we talk in private?"

"Of course." We then walk a few meters away from Semiramide, leaving her with a couple of flower crowns as she remained seated. When we're out of earshot by anyone, Lorenzo stops and turns to face me. "I need to ask for a favour from you, Antonia." He said. He then places his hands behind him before continuing. "I know we may not be close enough for me to ask this of you but it appears I have left with no other choice." He pauses for a few seconds then looks down before lifting his gaze back towards me and continuing. "My brother has been away from the city for months now. He has been staying in Venice. I have tried many times to bring him home but he said he wishes to stay and I cannot allow it. You know of his importance to the bank and this city, yes?"

I then nodded in reply. "What exactly are you asking of me?"

Taking a deep breath, he replied. "I want you to help me bring him back. He would not listen to anyone and despite my brother's stubbornness, he has developed such vulnerabilities with you. If you agree, I promise to take care of everything you may need. Just bring him home."

How can I ever say no? I would have loved to say no if I were approached by someone else, but it was Lorenzo de' Medici. No one can ever say no to him. As I slump down on the carriage, I couldn't help but think of how I got myself here. I was supposed to be leaving by now, instead, I'm on my way to Venice to fetch Giuliano.