Chapter 2

I paced the length of my room for the twentieth time since the festive finished. Daniel and Abigail sat on my floor by the fireplace, playing cards while Albert and Gabriel read on my bed. I loved having my siblings with me, but sometimes I wanted space. At the moment, I was at odds with myself, having an internal war. I wanted their support, but when Mama and Papa came in here, I wanted them gone. I turned once again and stared at the door. What was taking so long?

"For goodness sake, Kat, come and play with us. It'll take your mind off of things." Daniel said, waving his cards in front of him. I sighed and went over to them, joining my siblings on the floor. Playing cards with Abby and Danny did take my mind off of things until our parents knocked on my door.

"Katrina, love, we're coming in." Papa said, turning the knob and opening the door. Mama and Papa entered the room and looked at their children. "Off to bed with the lot of you." Papa ordered. Gabriel scampered from the bed, giving Mama and Papa quick hugs before leaving the room. Daniel helped Abby up before leaving the room as well. Abby limped to me and hugged me tight before Albert lifted her up and they left.

"Well, am I doomed to a season in the spring?" I asked bitterly. I gathered the cards and books and put them away. "It's not fair, Papa, Mama, neither of you had a season before you married. Why are you forcing me, forcing all of us, to have one?"

"I was already promised to your father from a very young age." Mama said softly, moving away from Papa. "I'll admit, at first, our marriage was not good, but I would never trade the years after it, the love we have, or the children he gave me. I want you to have a choice, though. Your grandfather, not grandfather Williams, my Da, wanted me to be safe. I want you to fall in love long before you walk down the aisle with your Papa." Mama stroked my cheeks softly. Her Irish accent mellowed over the years, the red hair she gave me streaked with gray. I never realized how much Mama and I were alike.

"I'm not ready for marriage, or a season, Mama. I'm not ready to settle down." I whispered. "Do you realize that I've never left the country? You and Papa have; all of my uncles and aunts have, even my cousins have. I want to find myself, have an adventure before I am forced to become a wife and a mother. I need this, Mama."

Mama looked at Papa with a sigh. She knew I was right. She has been sheltering all of us since the day we were born, especially Abigail and me. The boys, when they come of age, would argue this with Mama and Papa, and they would win because they could defend themselves. Mama and Papa would never let Abigail leave the house, even after she was married. Depending on the man she marries, they plan on renovating the fourth floor of the manor into an apartment for them. They know I can take care of myself, but only in England.

"Papa believes it is a wonderful idea to have you travel with your Uncles, but I am still dragging my feet. You are my baby; I do not want to lose you." Mama said, leading me to my bed. We sat down and she began pushing her fingers through my hair. "I know I would lose you anyways to marriage, but I knew I would always be able to visit you. Please, promise me you will let your Uncles take care of you, and do not get into any trouble."

"I promise, Mama." I whispered as she pulled me into her arms. "Thank you, so much."

"We want a letter delivered to the house weekly, understood?" Papa said, joining us on the bed. He kissed my head as he pulled Mama and I into a tight hug, then Mama's. "You are still my baby, too."

"I would hope so, Papa. I'm the first born." I said with a smile. Mama and Papa looked at each other with a look. The look that meant they were hiding something from me. "Am I the first born?"

"You are the first living, Katrina, you are the eldest. There was one other before you." Papa said, watching Mama carefully. Papa moved to hold Mama in his arms as he continued. "A year before you were born, your mother was pregnant with a baby boy and his name was Aaron Clancy. Like your cousin. He was a stillborn, much to our dismay. Your step-grandmother, Adalynn, gave your mother these herbs that aided in his still birth. Your grandmother would like to believe that it just happened because her first born was a stillborn. We love you, Kat, no matter what."

"A boy was supposed to be born first, to take your fortune." I whispered, hugging myself. "Were you upset when I was born a daughter?" I asked harshly.

"No. While I love your brothers, I hoped for all daughters. I wanted one of my brothers to take my place when I died." Papa said, reaching out to cup my cheek. I did not realize I had been crying.

"Why?" I whispered.

"First born men in our family are appeared to be cursed with bad luck. I am only so lucky that my children are alive and healthy and my wife is still with me." He whispered, kissing my forehead gently. "I almost lost your mother after your brother died. She thought I hated her. I don't want you to think I don't love you, or your siblings."

"I don't Papa." I whispered, scooting into my parent's warm embrace.

*

*

*

A week later, Uncle Barnabas and Uncle Alastar and I found ourselves waiting for our carriage to stop. Our first stop in our travels would be Ireland. I wanted to see the home my mother was raised in. We had said our goodbyes earlier that morning, and now my Papa found himself traveling to the boat with us. I hated our good-byes. Mama was crying, as was many of my aunts and cousins and grandmother. Abby and my brothers never shed a tear as I gripped them in a hug. I don't know what I would do without them, their laughs, smiles, counsel. Now is my time to find out.

"Kat, you're here." Papa whispered, grabbing my hand. "Be a good girl, please."

"Yes, Papa," I whispered, throwing my arms around him one last time. "I'll write when we arrive in Ireland." I promised.

Once we boarded the boat, stewards took our things to our room, leaving the three of us to stand on the top deck. Papa ensured us with enough money for a yearlong trip for food, board and means of travel. My uncles brought money of their own, of course, giving us more money than we needed. I gripped the edge of the boat as we departed from my home. I felt an invisible weight lift off of my shoulders as I took my first breath of sea air. I would start anew.

Our time in Ireland was short. Uncle Alastar took me to my grandfather's grave and I paid my respects to the man that brought my mother life, who then brought me life. We spent another three days in Ireland before boarding another ship to France. I wanted to spend at least a month in France, mainly Paris. The fashion, the food, the people, and the Eiffel Tower enchanted me. I wanted to scale the length of the iron beauty.

Most importantly, I was going to find myself.

*

*

*

*

*

Hellp lovelies!

Happy New Year! Who made resolutions they know they won't keep? I didn't this year, because I almost never keep it. It's always to lose weight, but I just never made a resolution this year.

I know, it's been a while since I've updated. I have writers block for Chasing CHastity and Ms. Swimmer. I just cannot find inspiration. I mught put them on hold and focus on some other stories. Maybe, I dont know.

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho