Chapter 12

Henry Delacroix

Katrina's father escorted me to his study, with Barnabas and Alastar trailing behind me. Lady Goddard must have shown Penny and Jared their room for the evening. I swallowed tightly as the four of us entered the large room, Lord Goddard closing the door loudly behind us. Alastar gave me a sympathetic look as he poured himself some of his brother-in-law's whiskey.

"Sit, Mr. Delacroix." Lord Goddard commanded. I did as he said, sitting in front of his rather cumbersome desk. "My brothers tell me you are courting my eldest daughter. What prompted you to approach her? Was it a large dowry, a possible title, her inheritance?"

"I am in love with your daughter, My Lord." I replied, looking him in the eyes.Lord Goddard lowered himself into the chair across from me, folding his hands on his desk. "She is my world, I would like to—"

"I will not allow a marriage. You are still a stranger to me. I understand you and my daughter began a three month courtship while returning to England. I would like a longer courtship. At least three months longer." Lord Goddard stated. I tensed my jaw at these terms. I could not wait that long to marry his daughter.

"A month and a half, sir," I bargained. "Not a day longer. I understand I must earn your trust, Lord Goddard, but your daughter is the most important woman to me. I know she feels the same was as I do. I will do what I must to prove to you that I am worthy of her." Lord Goddard was silent for a long moment, contemplating my terms.

"Katrina is used to a grandeur lifestyle. How will you be able to provide for her, how will you house her and any children you may have in the future?" He queried. "As far as I know, you are homeless and jobless in this country."

"I have been apprenticing as a blacksmith for the past several years. I am adept in constructing houses. Give me time and I shall prove this to you, sir." I argued, rising from my chair.

"Sit down, Mr. Delacroix. No need for drama. I shall give you two months to build a home and establish yourself with the ground's blacksmith." Lord Goddard said. "At the end of two months, if you have completed both tasks, we shall revisit your wishes of marriage. Now, go sleep." I nodded and stood, leaving his office quickly. I had to find Katrina and alert her of what was to happen. I would fulfill her father's orders. I wandered upto her family's quarters and waited for her siblings to exit their rooms. When Gabriel opened the door closest to the end of the hall, I ran to him.

"Gabriel, where is Katrina? I must speak with her." I gasped. Gabriel pointed to the room he had just left. "Kat and the rest of our siblings are in there," He noted. I nodded and made my way over to the room, knocking once to let them know I was entering.

"Hello," I said as I entered the room. Katrina's face brightened at the sight of me. Abigail began nudging her sister off of her bed, until Katrina landed with a thud on the carpet. I ran over to Katrina, who was madly giggling as I helped her to her feet.

"Henry, darling, I thought you were with Papa?" She said, cupping my cheeks. I pressed my lips to her forehead gently as I stroked her hair.

"That is why I was looking for you." I replied softly. "Preferably alone, my darling," She nodded and took my hands. She led me through the connector door of Abigail's room into a second bedroom.

"What is the matter, Henry? What did Papa say?" She questioned, gripping my hands. I leaned in and pressed my lips to Katrina's, drawing her body close to mine.

"Your father has stated that I must have a home and a job for us at the end of two months if he is to consider a marriage between us." I replied after pulling away. "I am going to do as he said. I want a life with you, Katrina, and I will do what I must to show your father that. So I apologize if I neglect you or seem horrid over the next two months—"

Katrina kissed me, her hands knotting themselves in my shirt. I kissed her back, pressing her against the door we had entered before. "Henry Delacroix, I love you whether you are rich or poor, whether or not we may have children, or if we can grow old together. All I want is a chance to share my life with you."I grinned as I held her close to me, my fingers dancing up and down her back. I would prove to her, and her father, I could provide for her.

I set to work the very next day, acquiring lumber and nails from the black smith and lumber yard to begin our home. I had acquired a job with the black smith, becoming his assistant after a brief apprenticeship. Katrina was encouraging, to put it humbly. Every day I did not work at the black smith shop, I was constructing my house with the local contractor and Katrina. After much convincing to her father and I, she was allowed to help half way through the first month of our deal. It was her home as much as it was mine.

*

*

*

*

*

Hello lovelies!!

I apologize for the long ass wait for an update. These past few months have been insane. After coming home from Ireland, I had to finish my AP Government work and my summer reading project. I also had to fill out my Common App for colleges. After doing all that during Field Hockey preseason, school actually started as did games and regular homework. But the update is finally here! I will get to updating Ms. Bookworm and Chasing Chastity by the end of this month.

So, how are you guys? I know I've been ubber busy. We have this fair up where I live that encompases the states of New England (Main, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, New Hampsire and Connecticut) and I work there every weekend. I just had a really fucking freezing game tonight (didn't expect October to be this cold so soon) and it was raining. 

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho