Chapter 2 No Carrots Here

Y/N's pov

  "So you're a tanuki."

  "You're wrong!" The girl yelled at Shirou "I'm a raccoon!"

"Hate to burst your bubble kid. But raccoon's tails have stripes on them. You're a tanuki." I sighed leaning against the alley wall.

  "I don't want to be that!"

  "Let's go."

  I paused hearing the sirens in the distances before agreeing with Shirou. The girl followed behind us as we both turned to our human forms smiling as I leaned against Shirou while she stared at us in confusion.

"Why are you still like that?" I giggled flipping a strand of hair out of my face "Aren't you going to change to your human form?"

  "About that.."

  "Don't tell me you can't." Shirou sighed as the girl nodded "Let's just go."

I grabbed onto Shirou's hand as we walked out of the alley, the sun hitting my eyes. I let out a yawn as the girl behind us gasped.

"Why's no one in their animal form? They were a little while ago." She asked jogging to my side before matching our pace.

"That was only for the festival." Shirou spoke, the girls eyes widened "This is normal."

  "Huh?" She complained "But I thought everyone would be in their animal forms here."

I was leaning against the wall of Gem's house as he placed a beastman marker on the girl's nose once we got home. She yelped as it was ripped off and Gem examined it.

"Yup." He held up the marker "She's definitely a beastman."

"What you can tell by just that?"

"The beastman marker is a simple but reliable tool for confirming if one is a beastman." Gem showed her the now blue stripe "Though without it it's obvious to see that you are in fact one."

"I'm telling you I'm a human!" The girl yelled before looking at the ground "Before a year ago I was a normal human, then I just turned to this."

  "Impossible." Shirou spoke turning toward her "A human is a human and a beastman is a beastman. You can't just change suddenly."

"I'm sure it's some kind of disease!"

"Can you stop the yelling." I sighed rubbing my temple "And what do you mean disease?"

  "Beastmenitis!" The girl yelled once more, I rolled my eyes "I'm sure there are more people here with it, right?"

"There's no one like that.."

"It's true." Gem said agreeing with me

  Melissa walked into the room holding some papers "I'm sorry, your name is Kagemori correct?"

"That's right! Michiru Kagemori."

  "I'm Melissa." The beastman smiled "You've already met Gem here and despite his appearance he is the head of the beastman cooperative. Part of our job is to look over newcomers. You'll need to fill out this paperwork for registration."

  "I told you I'm not a beastman!" Michiru squealed clenching her hands "I shouldn't have to fill this out."

  "It's just normal procedure." Melissa spoke as I yawned stretching my arms "It's just for residency-"

  "I know! My school ID card! It proves I'm human! But my wallet was stolen."

"Looks like you're out of luck." I sighed looking over at Michiru "Most things stolen here are never seen again."