Chapter Forty-Two | Like Rabbits

Start from the beginning

"You have everything nice around here," Daniella chimed in. I didn't expect her to find her way into my conversation, but I wasn't surprised that she did. Honestly, I was a little bit happy she did. I did more talking to myself these days than with other people. It was a little concerning.

"I don't even have a phone. I'm still stealing Matteo's to play games when he's in the shower," I complained, popping a piece of poptart crust into my mouth. Daniella rolled her eyes and walked over to fridge. "We don't have any milk."

"Yeah, and we don't have any sippy cups here, either." She pulled a bottle of water out and twisted it open. I scowled as she drank it.

"I meant for cereal," I deadpanned. I wanted to ask her for a water but figured she would launch it at my head. I wasn't in the mood to murder her today. "What are you doing here, anyway? Shouldn't you be helping with Matteo's little escapade into Vindicta today?" Dani leaned against the now closed fridge, swirling the half-drunk water in the bottle.

"He still has me assigned to you."

"I thought we were over that?"

"Yeah, well, no one seems to do a good enough job at babysitting you, so he stuck me back on duty. " Go figure, I thought to myself. I couldn't deny, though, that a little bit of me was happy that Dan was back to being my bodyguard babysitter. She wasn't nearly as nice to be around as Jack was, but she didn't see me as an almighty Alpha like every other person Matteo assigned me to.

"So you're back to following me around again," I concluded, trying to split the back half of my poptart away from the front. If I had a knife, it would have been much easier.

"Yeah, supposed to be."

"Supposed to be?"

"His orders were, 'do not under any circumstances let her out of your sight,' but I think hearing distance is just fine," she clarified. Setting my mutilated poptart on its wrapper, I leaned back in my chair. I cursed myself for lacking whatever brain cells a person needed to talk to themselves in their head. What if Matteo didn't want anyone else to know that he was preparing to give up Caedes if we both died? I said that shit out loud.

"So, you heard everything this morning?"  I asked as she took another swig from the bottle.

"Your little argument with Matteo? No. I heard some rumors about it, but I wasn't aware I'd be babysitting today until a few minutes ago." A sigh of relief escaped, and I felt like I was able to relax again. Laughing off what she said, I tossed another piece of poptart in my mouth.

"What were the rumors?"

"He cried? Some stupid shit like that," Dani shrugged. I almost choked. Thank God, she didn't seem to believe it for a second. She took one final drink, finishing what was in the bottle, and then crushed it. "I think the pack is bored today."

"Probably. There's never anything to do around here," I whined, doing my best to jump to a different topic. I'm sure Matteo would absolutely deck me if he found out people heard what I said about him crying. Ignoring me, Dani pulled her phone out of her back pocket and started tapping wildly on the screen. It was impressive how quickly her thumbs moved. "Well, I only slept for like three hours last night so—"

"Huh, fun night?" She didn't look up from her phone, but I'm sure if she did, her eyes would be taunting me.

"Ha, no. I honestly wish that was the case."

"Shame. If I were the two of you, I'd be screwing like rabbits. Never know when it could be your last." I bit my lip, a little annoyed that she had to bring it up like that. A valid point but not really one I wanted to think about while I was having my first afternoon snack.