Chapter 3

Christmas Eve came and I don’t think I’ve ever felt this sad. I lied to my parents about having to work on Christmas day just so they would not insist on me flying back to the Philippines. After my last meeting that morning, I was free to go home and enjoy a vacation until the first week of January.

            I met up with Dani at the mall because she wanted to go shopping with me. “You have the best gift ideas” she said. I tried ignoring the Christmas spirit this year. I did not even put up any decorations at home. But no matter where I look, everything is just so festive and “Christmas-sy.”

            “Are you done?” I asked Dani. It’s getting late and I’m starving. “Almost. Sorry na please? I’ll treat you sa dinner and then margarita” she said with a grin. “Fine.” I was also able to buy gifts for Ian and Grace, and yes, for Dani, but she doesn’t know.

            “So, what are your plans for tonight and tomorrow?” she asked over dinner. “Tonight, sleep and tomorrow, sleep in” I said. “Boring naman. Wait, diba 5 days vacation mo? Why not go somewhere? Para mas ma-relax ka. Masyado kang workaholic eh.” “I just don’t feel like traveling alone right now.” “Eh di yayain mo si Ian.” “Uhm no.” “Why not?” “Because” “Because you’re falling for him and you can’t hide it but you’re too afraid to admit it” she said. Those words struck me like a lightning. “Dani, stop it.” “Come on, Shin, don’t deny it. We’re too old for those OMG-I-DON’T-LIKE-HIM DENIAL STAGE, okay? So, kelan mo ba siya balak sagutin?” I rolled my eyes on her, partly because she’s annoying right now, and mostly because she’s right. “I don’t know. I’ll check my sched.” She laughed, “Ano ba? Seryoso ako. Ikaw rin, baka makahanap yan ng iba. Yung mas mabilis.” I gave her a bitch face. “What?? Stop giving me that face. It’s true!”

            We ordered our drinks, which was like my prize after a hectic work week. “Dani, do you happen to know if I have a relative who has a baby girl with the initials CG?” I asked her, hoping I could have some clues. “What?” was her only reply. I sighed, “kasi I’ve found a bunch of photos of a baby girl in our house, and I think her initials might be CG, so do you know?” “Oh” she said, looking hesitant to answer, “Uhmm, I don’t really know.” I sighed, “I guess there are still a lot of things I have to know, and a whole lot of things I have to remember.”

            It was a few minutes before 12mn when I arrived back to my house. The strange part was the lights were on. “Uhm, Dani can you stay for a little while. I mean, just until I check everything” I said to her. “Okay. I’ll just go in with you.” When I opened the door, a familiar voice immediately greeted me. “Mommy!!” Grace said as she came running to me. “Hi, baby! Where’s your daddy?” I asked. “Surprise” Ian said. “Shin, I don’t think you’re in danger” Dani whispered. “Merry Christmas, love” he said and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I was so embarrassed because I’m pretty sure he can smell the margarita I just had. “Nako, Shin. I think you’re in immediate danger na pala” Dani whispered again and laughed. “Ano ba!” “Ah, Shin, Ian, I have to go, okay? You guys enjoy your little celebration. Bye!” “Bye, Dani!” “Bye, lovebirds!” she said before driving off.

            “What’s all this?” I asked him. “Noche Buena,” he grinned. “But why?” “Because nobody should be alone on Christmas” he said and kissed my hand. My heart just melted. It couldn’t get any sweeter than this. “Wait, ikaw nagluto nito lahat?” I asked as I saw all the food that was waiting for us. “Uhm, some of it?” “And by ‘some’ you mean?” “The pasta lang” he said, again with a goofy grin on his face. I laughed, “eh sino nagluto nito?” He sighed, “it doesn’t matter, okay? What matters is that we are celebrating together, right?” “Right!” “Dad, let’s eat!!” Grace shouted.