Chapter 8: Chunin Exams

The day of the Chunin Exams finally arrived as all the Chunin candidates gathered around the village square. Genins from all the villages slowly trickled in as Hiroshi, Asuka, and Iraia watched and waited. There were many candidates this time around including those from Konoha such as Denki, Iwabe, and Metal forming a team. Another team in the vicinity was Inojin, Shikadai, and Chohco.

Sarada, Mitsuki, and Boruto were also present. As Hiroshi conversed amiably with Boruto and the others he suddenly heard the shout of an all too familiar voice.

"Hiroshi! We meet again! This time I'll win!"

Hiroshi inwardly panicked and awkwardly turned around to face who it was. It was a boy around his age who had medium length black wavy hair and green eyes. He wore a dark red short sleeved haori and a black long sleeved t-shirt with matching red pants. The Iwagakure forehead protector was worn on his head.

Boruto gave a confused look and nudged Hiroshi asking, "Oi, Hiroshi. You know this guy?"

Hiroshi just awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck and nodded. "Er...Haha...I do...This is Koen. Kaguya Koen. His dad is uncle Kimimaro and his mom is the 4th Tsuchikage."

"EEEHHHH?!" Everyone around him exclaimed in shock.

Koen smirked at everyone's reaction and replied, "Hahaha! It's nice to meet you all! Let's all do our best and battle it out! And this time, I will win Hiroshi! Oh, where's Iraia? I need to settle our score as well!" As Iraia heard Koen call out her name she just inwardly sighed but kept her expressionless face pretending not to see him. Koen turned and looked around scanning the crowd for her until finally he took note of the all too familiar snow white hair. He ran over and said, "Iraia! Long time no see!"

Unable to avoid Koen she simply turned around and said emotionlessly, "Oh, Koen. Hi." She then turned and walked off standing by Sarada and Asuka. Koen just clenched his fist in determination lost in his thoughts. Gah! She's still as beautiful as I remembered! But even still I won't lose to her next time! Or Hiroshi!

Shikadai, Boruto, Inojin, Iwabe, and Denki just gave Koen a strange look in confusion as they turned to Hiroshi for an explanation. Boruto broke the silence as he asked, "Oi. What's his deal Hiroshi?"

Hiroshi just let out a long drawn out sigh. "Well...He just likes to battle that's all. Out of all the ninja villages Iraia and I are most familiar with Iwagakure because dad used to take us there all the time when we were little to visit uncle Kimimaro. Koen would always challenge us to a sparring match at any chance that he could get. That's all. He's not a bad guy or anything. Maybe just a bit eccentric."

"Ehhhh…" Everyone simply let out. Inojin then asked, "He said something about not losing to you or Iraia this time. Does that mean he lost the last time you guys fought?"

Hiroshi simply nodded. "Yeah. Let's see the last time we fought was probably 4 years ago. That was a long time ago so we definitely weren't as skilled then as we are now, but still it leaves me with 10 wins and he has 0. As for Iraia she has 5 wins and Koen has 0."

"Ehhhhh…" Everyone let out again.

Iwabe then chimed in, "Heh. Then I guess he's not that big of a deal huh?"

Hiroshi shook his head. "You're wrong. Koen is strong. At least, he definitely has the potential to become a top class shinobi."

Everyone widened their eyes in shock at Hiroshi's words as Shikadai asked, "What do you mean?"

Hiroshi stared seriously at Koen in the distance before replying, "We were really young back then so we weren't that skilled yet. But I have no doubt that Koen has rapidly improved his skills. Dad told me that if I underestimate him and slack off on my training then I'll lose badly to him one day. And that's because dad said that Koen has an incredibly rare Kekkei Tota."