[1] - welcome to bluebell

"Miss. Whitaker?"

Paulie turns from writing on the chalk board and turns to her last class of the day, her eyes going to one of her students in the back of the room. Realizing that it is the blonde and very popular Magnolia Breeland raising her hand, Paulie sighs and puts her chalk down before crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yes, Ms. Breeland?"

"I know that we are supposed to be reading this chapter on To Kill a Mockingbird silently for the rest of the class period, but since we only have four days left of the school year, I thought maybe we could just, not?" Magnolia shrugged like she wasn't just talking to her teacher but one of her friends. Paulie has known Magnolia since she was a baby, and was even sort of friends with her older sister Lemon who Paulie grew up with, but since she was her teacher you would think she would think before speaking?

"Ms. Breeland, I know that it is the end of the school year this week, but that doesn't mean we can goof off the last lesson I want to teach you all before you leave me for the summer." Paulie uncrossed her arms and walked to her desk at the front of the room, an idea coming into head. "Tell you what? If you can tell me what To Kill a Mockingbird is about right now, we can wrap up the lesson today and relax like you want to do."

Magnolia, who was looking confident before, suddenly lost the look on her face and her eyes stared darting around the room at her classmates. Paulie continued, "I mean, we are almost done with the book and I know you have been reading the book because that has been the assignment for the past month. So it should be easy for you."

"Y-Yeah, of-of course." Magnolia stuttered. 

"Well, go on then. Let's hear it."

Magnolia stood up from her desk, flashing through her school copy of the book, before huffing in frustration and and slamming it down on the desk. "Well... It's clearly about...a-a mockingbird."

"Uh-huh." Paulie said, nodding her head as some of her students started snickering under their breaths. 

"And, and how to kill it?"

Paulie pushes herself off her desk and walks over to Magnolia, picking up the book and handing it back to her. "Nice try." Paulie started walking back to her desk and collecting some papers as the bell was going to ring. "Everyone, finish up the book tonight so we can talk about it tomorrow. And Ms. Breeland, I expect you to read that book cover to cover if you want to pass my class."

The bell rings and her students quickly get their things ready, trying to rush out of the classroom as quickly as possible. Paulie watches as Magnolia tries to leave with phone in hand and already texting, but Paulie calls out, "Ms. Breeland!"

Magnolia stops and slowly walks over to Paulie, huffing in frustration and crossing her arms over her chest. "What, Paulie?"

"Magnolia, come on. You know that when we're in school you have to call me Miss. Whitaker. And I just wanted to say that I meant it when I said you have to read that book before tomorrow. You are this close," Paulie holds up her fingers just a couple of centimetres away from each other, "to failing my class. I don't want to have to tell Lemon and your dad about this, but if you don't pass you are going to have to go to summer school and then I'll have to tell them, okay?"

"Ugh, fine!" Magnolia huffed before rushing out of the room. Paulie sighs and turns back to her desk to collect her things. She knew that when it was time for Magnolia to come to the high school, it wasn't going to be easy. That girl has been on a teenage rampage since her 13th birthday. After collecting her things, Paulie made sure her classroom was all set and then locked it up for the night.