FIFTEEN ━ ❝wailing woman❞

Start from the beginning

         "What do you mean?"

         The amusement drained for her face, the features morphing. Eyes brighter grew dark, and the mouth that twitched upwards stayed calm. Serious. "He wants a True Alpha in his pack. He thinks it's you. And a little distraction like a few human sacrifices isn't gonna dissuade him from the prize."

         Scott shook his head. "I'm not an Alpha."

         "But you're well on your way, aren't you?"

         The wolf looked away. Cooper read his face, noting that the thought of being an Alpha saddened him more than delighted him. He was sure others would proudly take on the title of Alpha, greedily killing to conquer their dreams, and yet Scott...

         Scott vehemently denied it.

         Cooper didn't like the thought of being an Alpha either. Really, the idea of being a werewolf didn't entertain him. Jackson desired becoming a supernatural creature, begged Derek to turn him, and that in itself caused a point of contention between the two brothers.

         Cooper Whittemore used to be human. Plain, boring, and normal. He rather liked that life. No, he didn't have many friends, his nights weren't as interesting, but his life was simple. He knew what would happen tomorrow, had his weekends planned, and there was a set of motions to it. Cooper Whittemore the siren didn't operate on these motions and nothing was clear; everything muddled and dangerous, no clear vision for tomorrow.

         "Then what is he waiting for?" Scott asked impatiently, "What does he want me to do?"

         "He wants to make a killer out of you. That's what he does."

         Cooper's eyebrows furrowed. Scott echoed the sentiment, asking, "But, if I kill someone, I can't be a True Alpha, right?"

         "Exactly," Morrell nodded, "You want the psychologist's perspective? He's an obsessive who both desires you and is threatened by you. If the obsessive can't have the object of his desire, he'll choose to destroy it instead."

         Her eyes turned sharp. "You'll either willingly become part of his pack, or he'll make a killer out of you – destroying your potential to be a True Alpha."

         Cooper backed away slowly. It felt rather like the childish argument of if I can't have you, no one can! but this time with higher stakes.

         "Neither of those is ever going to happen."

         "Don't be so sure. You're playing his game...and while you're trying to figure out what to do next, he's thinking ten moves ahead with checkmate already in sight."

         The amusement in her eyes returned. Like Deucalion, she thought it a game. A silly little game with a small price of death. Nothing too drastic.

         Scott inhaled sharply. Cooper watched the wolf leave before turning his gaze to Morrell. She merely raised an eyebrow.

         "Are you going to be dumb enough what he wants with you?" she questioned.

         He didn't entertain her. "I know what he wants. I'm a siren; it's simple."

         "Perhaps. Deucalion obsesses over Scott, but you...he adores the idea of you," she tilted her head, eyes slowly drifting over his figure, "Sirens are the perfect killers, aren't they? One song, and you're dead, but most people don't mind if you kill them."

         I'm not a killer, his mind blurted out. It was the first response he wanted to give, but in the terms of Deucalion, what he wanted didn't matter.