2

(POV: KAYLA)

"Kayla, take your things up and choose a room," my mom said with a joyous air.

I stepped out of the car with the warm summer air swirling around me and stood in front of this big house that was supposed to be ours until we decided to move again.

After Ma got married to Darnell, we've been on the move because of his job. It probably sounds like fun, but to be honest, after a while, it got annoying having to start over in a new place and at a new school.

Darnell went ahead of us to settle in; then, he sent his driver to pick us up from the airport and bring us to our new house.

Kaylen kept bothering me in the car, telling me that she was gonna get the bigger room, but she fell asleep, so I didn't bother to wake her up. From outside the car, I could hear her loud snores, and I just laughed.

She was always happy whenever we moved, but it wasn't my favorite.

"Yeah, I'll go up and check it out," I said.

I threw my backpack over my shoulder. Ma asked Mr. Felix, our driver, to help me take my things upstairs, and he happily lifted my suitcases, and we marched on up the long walkway to the front door.

"Mr. Felix, I hope this is the last time you have to take us to a new house."

I pushed the door open.

"Be grateful, Ms. Kayla. Not many people have what you guys do." He whispered back.

I guess he was right; many people didn't have what Darnell had, so I should be contented; whenever I complained, he always knew what to say to have me feeling guilty for not wanting to live life like this anymore.

Sometimes I just wanted to go back to my old life when we didn't have as much and were still happy with what we had. I wanted to go back to the days when ma was still with dad, and we lived in a humble home in the suburbs, but it was never going back to how it was, and I just had to get used to moving all the time.

I opened up to a huge, nicely decorated house with marble steps descending from the second floor. There was a huge chandelier hanging from the ceiling of the fully furnished entrance. Darnell's team trophies were displayed neatly in a glass cabinet in the dining room, and his first ball that he took everywhere with him. I rolled my eyes; it looks like Darnell outdid himself again.

Mr. Felix and I made our way up the white marble stairs.

"Thanks, Mr. Felix."

I smiled, falling back onto my new bed, then I watched as he saluted me and walked back out. It looked like the biggest room upstairs, so my mission was complete.

Felix was a nice guy; he always made sure our family was safe and comfortable when Darnell wasn't around, which was most of the time. He was always busy with his team and making sure everything went smoothly with his investments.

I scrolled through Instagram, double-tapping pictures of my friends from back home enjoying the end of their summer. All this moving always got in the way of everything, and it's the main reason I didn't want to start a relationship with anyone because I never knew when we were going to move.

I liked this guy when we lived in Atlanta, and things were going well and smoothly till we moved to Florida. He was about 6'1, brown-skinned, with a nice smile, super cute, smart, baller, and an amazing personality. Since then, we haven't talked or anything. I guess he already found a new girl.

"Why are you so ugly, Kayla!?" Kaylen said.

She stuck her head in through my new bedroom doorway.