Chapter 39: Refugee

Start from the beginning

Tears began to flow down her cheek as a hand lifted to her mouth. Charlie Richardson. Their best friend they haven't seen since high school. The one who followed conspiracy theories or rather read comics than go to a weekend house party. 

"Have you seen any of our other classmates? My parents? My brother?" Katherine asked with desperation in her voice.

Bri looked at her and shook her head. "No, I'm sorry." Katherine shook her head as the tears continue to spill.

"I haven't seen my family in months," Katherine said, sniffling. "Although I did get to see my sister. She's imprisoned in Demos palace." She said as her blood began to boil at the very mention of Demos' name. The pain that he has put and many innocent people through. "I want Demos and all the other lycans to pay," Katherine said, balling up her fist.

"Don't worry they will." Katherine looked over to Bri to see a serious and determine look on his face.

"What do you mean?" Katherine asked, wiping her tears.

Bri stood up from the bed looking down at Katherine. "I lost my father, Katherine, because my mother happened to be mates to a lycan I have been orphan for almost two years," Bri said with a frown on her face. "My story is one of the many sad stories here because of those lycans, Katherine. With this group, this community we have we can avenge them."

Katherine gave her a confused look. "What do you mean?" She repeated.

"It means that this is not just a refugee camp..." Kather quickly turned to see the general standing at the entrance of the tent. "...this is also the resistance."

............

It was like an underground city or mainly a village. The people here lived in tents while some lived in small wooden shacks. 'There had to be over 1,000 people here or more.' Katherine thought as she walked down the dirt trail.

Katherine and Bri were both accompanied by the general in 'tour' of the 'underground city'. They were making their way to the mess hall to where all or most of the people here eat or trade food.

"This is where we grow our food," Bri said as they stood in front of a large garden area. Katherine looked to see the different varieties of crops planted before her. She watched as men and women worked in the garden loading vegetables in the basket. "Over there is where we have livestock," Bri said pointing to the fenced area in the distance.

"Everyone here has a job." The general informed her. "Soon you'll have a job too."

Katherine was just in awe at the community these people have built over the past five years. "So, all this used to be a military base?" She asked looking at the general.

"Yes. This was has been here secretly by the government in case our nation is to ever come into any threat such as what we are experiencing now." The general explains as they kept moving. Katherine watched with joy as she saw children playing while their mothers hung laundry on a string.

Eventually, Katherine was in the mess hall where people would come in and eat. She was given hand-mash potatoes, broccoli, and a piece of bread along with a cup of water. Even though it wasn't a buffet of food the sight still made Katherine's mouth water and her stomach growl. It had been several days since she has eaten anything

After her food was given she turned to see almost all the tables full of people eating. She continued to look until at the far end of one table she notices John eating his food. After watching him for a moment he looked up and motioned with his hand for her to sit with him.

"Where are we sitting?" Bri asked once she steps out of the dinner line.

"Uhm, let's sit over here," Katherine said, leading the way to where John now sat.

"Katherine," John greeted her with a small smile on his face.

"Hey, John." Katherine greeted as she took a seat in front of him. "John, this is my old friend, Bri." She introduced, "...Bri, this is the man who helped get me here, John." Bri and John exchanged greetings by shaking hands. The three of them began to make conversation. John and Bri got a chance to know each other a littler better in the process.

"So, you never told me how you found this place," Katherine said, then shoved some mash potatoes in her mouth.

Bri took a sip of water before she spoke. "Well, while my father trying to protect my mother from being taken by the lycan I hid....I watched my dad get murdered in front of me." Bri said as she fought back the tears. "I stayed by my dad's body for hours just staring in shock at losing my parents in one day. Then suddenly I saw a group of people traveling together. It was men dressed in our army uniform. They had just gotten word that a bigger ship was heading to our area and they were saving as many people as they could."

"So, that's how they brought you here?" John asked and in which Bri nodded.

"General showed me and the others that this fight with the Lycans isn't over. We needed to form a resistance. Katherine, you need to help us. We need as many people as possible." Bri said, placing her hand on Katherine's shoulder.

"The resistance?" John asked. Bri and Katherine glance at John as he gave them a confused look. "The general or anyone did not mention anything to me about a resistance."

"We're not just some refugee camp. We're here to take back our planet, to make a difference. Hopefully, we inspire others outside of this camp to fight back." Bri said with great passion in her voice.

John and Katherine exchanged glances. Katherine thought for a moment until a thought came to here. "Bri, I didn't mention this to you, but some people came along with us on this journey." Bri gave Katherine and John a confused look.

"We had a small group of people with us, but they were captured. I already told the general about it. He just said that he was going to talk with both of us tonight," John explained then paused for a moment. "We don't know if their dead or alive-"

"They're alive." Katherine interrupted. "We need to talk to the general about saving them."

"I know we'll do everything to help them," Bri said, reassuring them.

............

A black blur followed by other blurred figures scurried through the forest at a fast pace. They were approaching the river area. The figures continued to run until they spotted two figures walking dead ahead, two lycans to be exact.

The black and big, lycan quickly transformed into his human form. "What are you two doing standing around here?" Demos asked approaching them. Meanwhile, the other lycans including Xerous changed back into their human form. "You're the two men the captain sent right?" Both lycan nodded their head. "Did you see anything or catch a whiff of my mate's scent?"

"We did my lord, but..." One of them said hesitantly. "We might have lost their scent."

"How can you lose their scent?" Xerous asked, furious taking the words right out of Demos' mouth.

"I-It was weird. It was as if one moment they were and the next gone." The other lycan answered.

Demos looked at them for a moment then began moving to pass them. He bent down grabbed a hand full of mud and rubbed it against his fingers. "Demos, what are you do?" Xerous asked, moving to stand next to him. Demos said nothing as he stood up to his feet and looked ahead of him across the river. Xerous looked at his brother to what he was looking at. The mountains.

"Come on were heading toward the mountains." Demos said, then shifted into his lycan form with Xerous and other lycans trailing behind.

.................................................................................................................................

Sorry if this chapter was a bit crappy I was rushing to post this tonight by 8pm. Guys, I'm trying my best to update more. Anyway, the next chapter is going to have a bit more action.