Chapter 4

Tentatively, Cliff ran his hand through Zane's silky brown hair. It was so soft, he mused. His touch made Zane stir, and he sighed in his sleep. Thankfully, he didn't wake up. Cliff was glad he was resting; the first few nights Zane hadn't slept a wink. He had been too scared to let his guard down.

Looking at him, Cliff wanted to hug him, but he feared Zane would wake up. He was so defensive, and honestly, Cliff couldn't blame him. Cliff had done something that even baffled him. Now, he didn't know what to do.

Lying down next to him seemed like an okay idea though, so he did, and he wrapped him arms around Zane waist loosely. He was so warm Cliff couldn't help himself as he nuzzled the boy's neck. In a way, Cliff wished he were awake so he could stare into those beautiful chocolate eyes of his. However, his conscience reminded him that this was the only way to hold him without resisting, especially after what he had done that afternoon.

Kissing the back of his neck, Cliff breathed in Zane scent like a fragrance he'd been searching for for a long time. There was just something about this boy that brought a sort of missing happiness to Cliff's chest. Zane frowned in his sleep and subconsciously tried to pull away, but Cliff held him securely, refusing to let him go. Zane was a happiness he wasn't willing to relinquish.

However, just as quickly as his happiness came, it also disappeared. Cliff had been watching the news lately and they had been talking about the killing of Zane's family. It was getting too much attention. Rowen wouldn't be happy to hear he had screwed up so badly, and Cliff knew he had to lie low if he wanted to stay out of trouble this time. As Cliff combed Zane's hair with his fingers, he wondered what he would do. Even if he didn't say anything, Rowen was bound to find out on his own; it was only a matter of time.

Zane seemed to be having a bad dream. He kept tossing and turning uncomfortably. Cliff smoothed his hand down Zane side to sooth him, and it worked a little. But only just. Exhaling into Zane's hair, Cliff settled in for the night. Maybe he would finally sleep too.

*******

Something warmer than a blanket seemed to be engulfing me. It was cozy... I felt myself shuffle closer as I slowly opened my eyes to face my bedroom window and see the sun coming through to greet me. I felt my mood dissipate almost upon waking. To my disappointment, there was no bedroom window and no sun. There was just the barren wall of a basement and a dim overhead light. Rolling to my other side, I rubbed at my nose with a sigh and suppressed a yawn as I blinked wearily.

I shot straight up and tumbled out of the bed in a tangled, frantic mess. From my seat on the floor, eyes wide with horror, I could see very clearly a person who had not been there when I had closed my eyes. As I looked on, my family's murdered slept soundly.

With a racing heart, I had to try not to react too loudly. Cautiously, I got to my feet to stare at him, too shocked and confused to utter a word. Then I pursed my lips with a glare. This creep thought he could just climb into my bed, and get comfortable, and pretend like I'll be okay with it?

I scowled at him and was about to sock him in his stupidly defenseless face when I stopped in my tracks. I turned my gaze to the door. There was no lock on the inside, never had been. So, if he was in here, it had to be unlocked, I theorized. Glancing at Cliff every few seconds to make sure he didn't wake up, I hurried to the door. I placed my hand on the nobb and turned it slowly, cringing as it squeaked. As I pulled the door open, I turned to look back at Cliff, but, thankfully, he had not been disturbed, so I wasted no time in hurrying from the room.

I ran up the steps as quietly but as fast as I could and ran in the direction of the front door. It was locked and I turned to look around the house for another door. Finding one in the kitchen, I found it was unlocked. I threw it open and ran out.