☁Chapter Eighteen☁

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Of course, Queen Nazadori," he said, bowing to her too. "The pleasure is all mine."

And with that, Aang turned on his heel and walked quickly and quietly out of the restaurant. Nazadori's throat burned as tears sprung to her eyes. She tracked his movements until she couldn't see him anymore. Turning away from the view of her guards, she allowed one tear to slip down her cheek, but that was it. She couldn't spend her time grieving over a future that was already over. 

After a few minutes of breathing to control her tears, she turned around to sit back at her table when she saw Gazon standing in the doorway to the restaurant. Why in the world were people sneaking up on her, especially when her guards were supposed to stop anyone from entering the place? Still, she was glad that he was here, even if anger spiraled through her chest. She knew this was going to happen sooner or later.

"Can we talk?" Gazon asked Nazadori awkwardly. She shifted on her feet, squeezing her hands together. Nazadori didn't know what to say to the man in front of her. He was supposed to be her advisor, the one that Bumi chose specifically, to help her make it through this process. But he was also the one who was ruining her experience, who got angry because she was different from Bumi. "I have a lot to say to you."

"Sure."

"Thank you."

He struggled to get down on the mat in front of her, and she almost rushed to his side to assist him but didn't. It was nearly reminiscent of her final few weeks with Bumi, helping him walk around the palace and going to see Flopsie the last time. She was there with him every step of the way, but it was different with Gazon. The older man had made her miserable in the role that Bumi knew she could do; he made her doubt Bumi's choice. 

"I'm going away soon," Gazon told her with a shrug. His weathered face finally looked at peace and free. Nazadori's heart sunk in her chest. What was she going to do if he left her? They may not have gotten along much these past few months, but she needed someone there to help her transition to the life of a queen. "My family is taking me on a trip around the world. They want me to actually enjoy my life instead of advising another ruler of Omashu who won't bother listening to me."

"Listen, Gazon --"

He raised his hand, cutting her off. She had no idea where he was going with this, but she didn't want to interrupt him right now, not when he was finally talking to her like she was an adult, someone who was ready to be queen. "My plan of action for both you and Bumi was to keep with tradition here in Omashu," he said to her. "I didn't want to shake the boat here because of how our people have always been: steadfast and strong. But I have slowly realized that steadfastness and strength can come in many forms."

"For Bumi, it was physical strength," Nazadori said, and Gazon laughed, nodding his head. She smiled softly at the memory of the strongest man she ever knew. Even men like that could die, she finally realized. "He always proved to everyone that he was the strongest man in the room and that he could take them with just a nod of his head."

"But he also had a steadfast heart," Gazon continued. Tears burned in Nazadori's eyes, but she couldn't help but smile. "He cared so much about our city and our people. He did everything he could to help those who couldn't help themselves. And I see that in you, too."

"Really?"

"You put your life in danger to help a girl who was getting robbed," Gazon said, shaking his head at her. "It was risky and reckless. And you know how angry I was."

"Yes, I do."

"But I'm proud of you, Nazadori. I know I haven't shown this in a long time, but I am speaking the truth. You care about people, and I know that you will continue to be steadfast and strong in your own way."

Nazadori didn't know what to say to him. She hadn't expected this at all. Gazon had been so angry with her lately, and she thought that he hated her and the way she had begun ruling the city. But that wasn't the truth at all. Sure, he wanted to focus on tradition and not upsetting the people of Omashu, but he also realized that she had to learn how to do this by herself. No one else understood this feeling -- this pressure. Only she could figure it out, and that would take a long time.

"Now, how about we enjoy the world-famous dragon dumplings," Gazon said with a wide smile on his face. He didn't seem to notice the tears filling her eyes as he waved over a waiter. "I'm starving. Are you?"

She couldn't answer him, so she enthusiastically nodded her head. Hope blossomed in her chest as Gazon talked to the waiter, his actions slightly sloppy now that he wasn't working. In the quiet, she found herself . . . hopeful. Maybe, just maybe, she was meant to be Queen of Omashu. Nazadori knew that her future wasn't determined for her, but she was able to create it for herself. And everything about this -- ruling the city that had watched her grow up and bloom into the person she was meant to be -- felt right.