☁Chapter Sixteen☁

Start from the beginning

"I was going to ask you to dance." He smiled cheekily at her. "Can the Avatar not dance with the future queen of Omashu?"

Nazadori felt her face heat up, so she ducked her head. "Yes, he can."

Slowly but surely, Aang placed his hand on her waist and held the other in his hand. They started softly swaying to the music, and Nazadori found it hard to look at him. She was afraid that her face would reveal all the emotions she felt for this feast, for the people around her, and most importantly, for the boy dancing with her. 

They drew near to a larger group, so Aang tugged her even closer. She was practically against his chest and was forced to look at him. His gray eyes were bright and lively, and there was a smile playing at his lips. The most prominent thing about him, though, was the blush traveling up his neck and face. 

"How are you?" he asked. "I haven't seen you since you inducted us into the council."

Nazadori closed her eyes for a second, allowing Aang to guide her. She was afraid to say something, that someone else would overhear and tell on her. "I'm overwhelmed," she whispered into his chest. "But I'm here, and that's all that matters."

Aang remained silent but squeezed her hand once. She knew he was there for her, that he would help her along the way. Nazadori was grateful for her friendship with the Avatar, and deep down, wished that there was something more going on between them. She chided herself for wanting this when she had to better serve her people. 

After a few more minutes of dancing, everyone was directed to their seats at the table. Nazadori slowly made her way toward the front of the table, all eyes following her. She was glad that a few people had started eating, but she needed to make a speech about her council, who was sitting at the other end of the table. If only someone had prepared a speech for her to say. She didn't want to let anyone down. 

"I wanted to introduce my council to everyone," Nazadori said, standing in front of the long table. For a second there, she could only focus on the pain shooting through her feet from all the standing thus far. Those who were eating had paused what they were doing to give their full attention to her. She didn't want that many eyes on her, but she knew she had to get used to it. "I know the monarchs of Omashu never listened to people outside of the city on how to run it, but I wanted to change that. I wanted to have the opportunity to listen to people from different nations in my job as queen."

"Is this because of your past?" one of the children of the important families asked her. "We all know you're not even from Omashu, and you don't have the best track record in keeping the peace."

Nazadori struggled for a few moments to even breathe because her heart started thudding against her chest and tears burned in her eyes. It seemed like the rumors about her had traveled outside of the city walls by now. She straightened her back, clenching her jaw for a moment. She desperately wanted to run away from the meal, from all of the eyes on her, but she swallowed hard, pushing down her fears and heartaches. A small movement to her right led her eyes to Avatar Aang, who was wearing a small smile on his face. Just seeing him there gave her the strength to continue. 

"I am not my past, and neither is Omashu," Nazadori said, her voice shaking. She cleared her throat to get rid of that. "This city was founded after two lovers sacrificed their love and even one's life to get the justice they deserved. This city was founded on heartache and sacrifice, but I will not let it come to that today." She looked down the faces of people, seeing the ones she knew -- Fire Lord Zuko, White Lotus member Iroh, Avatar Aang -- and settled on Gazon and her council at the other end of the table. "While I formed my council to help me determine what's right for Omashu and the rest of the world, I will personally make sure that each and every person in this wonderful city gets the opportunity they deserve." Her eyes sharpened as her rightful anger coursed through her veins. "Without fear, without heartache, without fighting. This city is one of love, just as King Bumi wanted it to be. I am here to continue that tradition, but I am also here to make new ones -- ones for the future of the world and for Omashu itself."

Nazadori had no clue where those words came from, and she stood there, surprised that she came up with all of that. The room remained quiet, her words echoing around her, and then somebody started clapping. Her head turned toward the sound and saw Aang rising to his feet, clapping. His friends, the two Southern Water Tribe kids, Sokka and Katara, the earthbending teacher, Toph, the girl from Kyoshi Island, Suki, and even Fire Lord Zuko followed his lead, standing and clapping for her. Slowly, before her eyes, she saw other people, like the members of the White Lotus, join in. There were still quite a few people who didn't clap or stand for her, but she would change their minds in the future. Hopefully. 

So many emotions ran through Nazadori's veins, and she gratefully slumped into her chair when all that commotion and her introductions for the council was done. She finished the food that was on her plate and talked to the people around her, but her heart wasn't in it. She was happy that she said those words, but the fact that half of the people didn't support her, and her new reign made her sick to her stomach. She ran a hand across her face, hoping she didn't look sick. 

The meal was winding down, and a few people had left already. Nazadori prayed to which ever Spirit was listening to her that she could also leave, but she was the one technically hosting this feast, so she didn't think it would be queenly to leave. So, she continued to socialize and talk about the future of Omashu with people who didn't seem all that interested in what she had to say. 

Just as she collapsed into her seat, she heard the sound of loud footsteps approaching. Most of the people were gone by now, so who wanted to see her? Sweat dripped down her spine as Gazon made his way toward her. She stood up and bowed her head, in submission and in greeting. "You did well," he said. She lifted her head and saw a hopeful look on his face, but his eyes were still pretty dark. "But I will still guide you in your early days as queen. We don't want Omashu to crash and burn, do we?" He cracked a grin. Nazadori could only nod her head. 

"Um, could you excuse me?" she asked, her stomach jumping into her throat. "I . . . need fresh air." 

She didn't wait for his response; instead, she bolted away from Gazon and from the table full of people she didn't know. Once she made it into the corridor, she started running until she came to a random window. Leaning against the sill, she sucked in a few deep breaths, her hands shaking nervously. Her throat was scratchy with unshed tears. She couldn't believe she made it through that feast without throwing up. Her stomach was settling as she soaked up the gentle wind coming from the window, but her nerves were shot. 

"Are you okay?"

Nazadori jumped and turned around. Aang waiting behind her, and her heart twinged in her chest. She threw herself into his arms, and he stumbled backward, nearly falling down. He hesitantly wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly. Though her heart ached intensely, no tears leaked out on him. She didn't have the strength to cry yet.

After a few moments, she pulled out of his embrace and took a few steps back from him. "No, I'm not okay," she told him with a shrug. "But at least I'm feeling these emotions, right?"

"That's step one."

"How many more steps do I have to take before it gets easier?"

"A thousand more."

She sighed. That made it seem even more overwhelming, but the look in Aang's eyes told her it was worth it. At least, she hoped it was worth it. Right now, she was having trouble figuring out what was right and what was wrong based on those around her. He seemed to understand that because he held out his hand for her.

"Come on, let's go," Aang said, taking her by the hand and pulling her toward the doors that led outside. "Gazon cleared out the rest of the people, so you aren't need back there anymore."

"Where do we go?"

"Anywhere you need to go."

"I know just the place."