•chapter two•

i was today years old when i realized that some people don't have albums in their photos app for their favorite characters or favorite ships and...how do you live??? like whenever i'm feeling sad i scroll through my bakugo album or my kirishima album and it always cheers me up. the art is not mine but it's just beautiful don't you think??? i love the idea of deaf baku. i'm gonna add art every chapter so just fyi none of it belongs to me.

Aizawa watched, horrified, as the kid slammed his head into the brick side of the building he was hanging onto before crumpling and beginning to fall. His reflexes kicked in, thank god, and he raced over to his side of the gap, sending his capture weapon down after Zero...and just missing him. Aizawa's scarf was too short, and so he watched, helpless, as the blonde plummeted, unconscious.

The black-haired man closed his eyes, not wanting to see, wanting to block it all out but at the same time waiting for the sickening, yet inevitable sound of impact-bones crunching, body exploding, the horrific splat- but none of it came.

Aizawa slowly pried open one eye and then the other, hoping beyond hope that he wasn't going to see the broken remains of a teenager-a villain, yes, but a teenager nonetheless-lying on the sidewalk. He couldn't deal with another death. He leaned over the edge, and...

Oh.

Aizawa couldn't stop the rush of relief that flooded him, because Mic had got there in time and he was holding Zero, the kid was okay, he hadn't failed, nobody had died, and Mic was smiling up at him and yelling reassurances, Zero was just unconscious and it was fine and he did good and-

Aizawa shook his head, interrupting his racing thoughts. It was not the time for this.

Using his scarf, Aizawa slowly made his way down the side of the building and over to Mic, who greeted him with a blinding smile.

"It's okay, Shota. He's just unconscious."

Aizawa only nodded and watched as the police cars pulled up and someone ran over with a med kit. Mic put Zero down gently, and the person blinked, clearly surprised by his age, before focusing and examining his head.

"I think he just gave himself a concussion," they said, applying gauze to the wound on Zero's head. "He should be fine, but I'm going to take him to TH just to be sure."

TH, or Tartarus Hospital, was a hospital for high-ranking villains who couldn't be trusted in normal hospitals. They got all the care they needed while being under 24 hour surveillance.

"Do you mind carrying him over to the car?" they asked, looking up at Mic, who shook his head before leaning down and scooping up the teen.

The loud blonde deposited him on the backseat of a police cruiser, before stepping back and leaning against Aizawa.

"You want to go to the hospital with him." It wasn't a question.

Aizawa blinked before turning to face Mic. "Yes. I know that he's an evil person, but he's also a kid. And, uh..."

"It felt like Ichika all over again."

Ichika was a teenage girl who Aizawa had failed to save three years ago. She had been a victim of Endeavor's collateral damage. He had set her house on fire while chasing a villain, and Aizawa had tried to rescue her. He made it to the roof of the neighboring house, yelling for her to come to her roof. She did, and as he reached out to grab her and pull her across to safety, the house collapsed. Ichika let out a piercing scream as she fell into the fiery beams that were once her home, and that scream has haunted Aizawa ever since.

The thousands of people he has saved don't matter when he can remember the ones he didn't.

...they never found her body. She was burned alive.

He only found out her name after.

The notion that another teenager with their whole life ahead of them might have died in front of him was too much.

Mic seemed to sense this, because he pulled him into a hug.

"You don't have to justify yourself. If you want to go with him, then do it. If you want me to come, I will, and if you don't want me to come...well too bad because I'm coming anyway."

Aizawa sighed internally. Thank god for Hizashi Yamada.

um well this got a lot more angsty than i originally planned. oops. sorry for not updating sooner, i got an absolute bombshell dropped on me the other day in the form of finding out i have 8 half-siblings so i needed some time to deal w that.

this is disgustingly short. i apologize.

(also i feel like this is obvious but i don't wanna get sued so i'm mentioning it anyway-i don't own mha/bnha or anything related to it. horikoshi does. i just own this fanfic and that's all.)