«Hundred-Thirty-Seven»

Manu Bennett
1969-2033
A perfect loving father, grandfather, uncle, brother, and hero

Melissa

I watched Olivia and Cara prance around the backyard, riding the horses and gossiping. "How is it that the triple threat Melissa Benoist turned rancher once she retired" John chuckled.

"Who said I retired?" I glanced at him.

"Uh, you did back when you wrapped up on that movie you didn't even want to do" John said in a matter of fact tone.

"Working on movies that weren't written by friends wasn't easy okay? Directors got a lot more strict since our day" I sighed. It had been 3 years since I appeared on any screen, I guess it just got less fun after letting Kara Danvers go.

Stephen had kept going but usually only booked movies and most of the time only with Grant, they had been a packaged duo for almost 6 years.

"Hey, you have 5 missed calls from a hospital in Hawaii" Bennett came out.

"Hawaii?" John perked.

"Oh no" I dropped my glass and rushed inside picking up my phone and seeing the missed calls, I was about to call when it started ringing again. I answered as fast as I could. "Hello?"

"Auntie Mel" Aivry whimpered.

"Aivry" I said, "What's wrong?"

"We... we were in a car crash" Aivry sobbed. "A car hit us and... and... daddy got hurt, mom said he's not gonna make it through the night"

I felt tears stinging in my eyes, everyone gathered around me, Stephen holding onto my arm. "Put your mom on" I said. I heard movement and than Katie's soft voice.

"Angel puppy?" Katie asked.

"It's me siren... it's me" I said. "What happened?"

"We went to see Laurel's play and on our way back, a car swerved and hit us head on... Manu... he uh.... he threw himself on top of me and Aivry" Katie began to sob. "The glass shattered all over him and a huge piece went into his... his stomach and hit some major arteries... he's... he's barely alive"

I felt my heart drop and I began leaning into Stephen, "Oh my god" I began crying.

"He's in life support, the doctors are saying he won't make it through the night" Katie whimpered, "I need you guys"

"Of course" I turned to John, moving the phone away from me. "Book 8 flights to Honolulu, 2 of them from Virginia, Via call your aunt Caity, Stephen pack our bags and call Robbie and Italia, tell them the kids need to stay with them"

"Okay" Stephen said, not hesitating to rush away with everyone.

"Put me on speaker near him" I told Katie. I heard some rustling.

"Okay" She sniffled.

"Manu... listen here" I began to cry again. "We're gonna be there as soon as possible, but you have to hold on okay? Manu I swear to god if you let go before I get there I will never forgive you. Just... hold on"

~

Did I ever mention I hated hospitals? I can tolerate them if it involves babies but when it's a life or death situation I hate them. The smell of the cleaning supplies and the cold air and bright fluorescent lights, it was painful.

We arrived sleep deprived and in a rush, not even bothering going to the hotel. The outside of the hospital had been packed with fans and press, hundreds of signs telling Manu that they love him.

"Mrs. Bennett" the nurse alerted Katie who stood up and practically jumped into my arms.

"Mellie" she hugged me tightly. I saw Manu was awake and alert.

"Manu" Stephen walked over to him and smiled.

"Steph" Manu coughed.

"It's okay, we're here" Stephen sighed.

"He's had bursts of energy on and off, but nothing is getting better" Katie wiped away her tears.

"I'm not going to... get better" Manu began coughing again.

"Don't you dare say that" Caity sniffled.

"I'm sorry, but I need to be truthful" Manu groaned, "My arteries are failing and I don't want a transplant, I can't take anything away from a healthy person"

"What about your kids? Aivry's only 10" John spoke.

"I don't want to leave them so soon, but I've got limited time here" Manu stated. "Huia and Mokoia just took the kids to get food, I was waiting for you cause I didn't want Mellie to never forgive me"

"You're Deathstroke, you aren't meant to die" I sobbed.

"I was immortal til proven mortal" Manu chuckled. "I love you guys more than anything, especially you my wife"

Manu smiled at Katie, it was just like how he use to back in 2018. "I love you too" Katie smiled back.

~

The kids arrived back and once Pania arrived, Manu began to get weaker, seeing his children together again and having us by his side let him relax. And just before visiting hours ended, he looked at me and sighed. "I've held off my goodbyes long enough"

His heart rate increased and than decreased and than stopped. The doctor simply came in and turned off the machines. Manu had signed a DNR and had died surrounded by his family.