[09]

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu.

We made our way down to the ford, in hopes of taking a short cut, only to find that the beach was occupied by hundreds of Telmarines building there. I ducked down behind a log next to Edmund, to avoid being seen. Edmund kept one hand on my back, attempting to ease the situation. 

We peaked our heads up slightly, reviewing the chaos. At the sound of horses galloping nearby, we ducked down further. 

"Perhaps this wasn't the best way to come after all." Susan whispered.

"You think?" I retorted, tired of walking and still peeved that they didn't believe Lucy in the first place. I was quickly shushed by the people around me. Peter was the first one to leave, all of us quickly and stealthily followed him. 

We walked to where we were before. I mentally rolled my eyes, we could have done this so much earlier, and not wasted the time we spent going towards the ford.

"So, where do you think you saw Aslan?" Peter questioned his younger sister. Lucy spun to face him, scowling at Peter. 

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown-ups, I don't think I saw him, I did see him." Lucy said sternly, raising her voice slightly, and walking in the direction, she saw Aslan.

"I am grown-up." Trumpkin said, not wanting to be seen as a child, just because he was short. Edmund and I turned to each other and fought off an amused smile.

"It was right over-" Lucy cut herself off with a loud scream, as the ground beneath her gave way, and she fell. 

"Lucy!" Susan and I shouted in unison. All of us quickly rushed forward to where she had fallen, to see if she was ok. Lucy looked up at us all.

"-here." she finished her sentence from earlier. I let out a sigh of relief, and followed Lucy down the hole. We made our way carefully down the slippery rockface, until we came to the bottom, near the river. Lucy tripped on a unstable stone halfway over, but Trumpkin steadied her before she could fall. She quickly smiled thankfully at him, before continuing. 

Edmund and I were the last ones over. I was nearly at the other side, when I slipped. Shit. I braced myself, for the cold river to sweep me away, but the impact never came. Instead, two arms wrapped securely around my waist. Edmund hugged my body close to his, making sure I didn't fall, until I was stood back upright. 

"Falling for me already?" Edmund smirked down at me, as I slowly got back to what I was doing. I blushed, but replied,

"Shut up!", I couldn't say anything else, I was too flustered. Edmunds hands burned through my skin in a comforting way, until they retracted, leaving me cold. I couldn't lie, I wanted Edmund to hold me like that again, so I felt safe. 

They all kept walking for a while, and I could feel my feet tiring. Without really thinking, I ran and jumped on Edmunds back. He stumbled slightly, but still caught me, looking back up at me in surprise.

"I swear one day you're going to kill me." he remarked. I giggled slightly, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"What can I say, my feet were tired." Edmund was happy to carry me, to relieve my feet. We carried on until night came, and we set up camp, Edmund slowly letting me down. Edmund and I were lying near each other, he was already asleep, and I was staring up at the night sky. 

"Lucy are you awake?" Susan asked suddenly. I listened in, but didn't speak. Lucy only hummed in response. "Why do you think I didn't see Aslan?" Susan asked, sitting up, on her forearms. Lucy copied the action.