Chapter 3: Soma's First Shokugeki

3rd Person's PoV

After everyone had dozed off, Soma and Isshiki had remained awake. They had just so happened to be cooking at Isshiki's offer to make Soma something. He accepted as Isshiki made a simple Mackerel dish. Within those moments, Isshiki had revealed to Soma that he was the current 7th Seat of the Elite Ten Council. Then, Soma took a bite of the mackerel and was in shock at the taste of the food he had found suitable.

"Soma-kun, it's your turn. Show me a story you can tell on top of a plate," Isshiki told Soma, challenging him to make something. Taking his time, Soma had examined Isshiki's plate, asking him if his dish was Japanese-themed and if he had run a Japanese restaurant. When Soma had started grilling his mackerel, Ryōko and Yūki had woken up to the scent of fish cooking.

"Sigh~...I fell asleep again. Hmm? Yukihara kun is cooking again," Yūki then noticed that the male was cooking again.

"I wonder if he's hungry again," Ryōko wondered. Then, Yūki looked to the side of the room and noticed that Shun was awake.

"Oh, Ibusaki! You're awake?" Yūki asks him

"I just woke up, and it seems like it is a battle," Shun states as he watches Soma cooking. The three continued to spectate the battle between Isshiki and Soma intensely. After some time, Soma had finished cooking his dish, which was a revamped version from his diner's menu, Mackerel Onigiri Chazuke, which was an Onigiri with mackerel steeped in salted kelp tea.

Since four other people were awake, Soma made four bowls and served the dish to the four. Thanking Soma for the dish, they all dug into the food, eating with excitement. After finishing the onigiri dish, Ryōko and Yūki threw in comments about how well Soma made the dish as Isshiki asked Soma how he knew a French cooking technique he had used in his onigiri dish.

When Isshiki and Soma shook hands after ending the Shokugeki, the party was now in the process of finishing as the residents, except Y/N, who remained asleep as she was a heavy sleeper, all began to leave Zenji's dorm room, leaving a rather large mess in his room. The only ones who had remained in Zenji's room were Soma, Isshiki and the two sleeping students. As the others had left, Isshiki placed a blanket over Zenji, sleeping on the ground.

"I'm surprised that Yamazaki didn't wake up from all that noise earlier," Soma said as he was cleaning his knife, looking at the sleeping female who was fast asleep by the bookshelf.

"Don't worry about Y/N chan. She's a heavy sleeper. Anyways, Soma kun! With this welcome party, you're now part of the Polar Star. If you don't understand something, you're free to ask away," Isshiki told Soma.

"Then...How do I join the Elite Ten?" Soma asked right away.  Isshiki turned to Soma and smiled at him.

"That's right. You're taking the first spot in the academy, right?" Isshiki asked Soma

"I'm in the middle of a fight with my dad right now. For him to approve of me, that is. Our Shokugeki was a tie. If I had beaten you, senpai, would I have been in the 7th seat?" Soma asked Isshiki about gaining a seat in the Elite Ten. Then, Isshiki was now in tears rambling about the ambition of Soma until he calmed down.

"Let's postpone this, for now. It's getting late. Let's rest well, Soma kun!" Isshiki smiled, "I'll take Y/N chan back to her room, so you don't have to carry her back on your way,"

"Oh, sure," Soma said as Isshiki carefully picked Y/N up off of the ground and walked out of Marui's room.

♪──────────────♪

Y/N's PoV

By morning, I woke up back on my bed. I thought about it for a moment, thinking when I returned to my room as I didn't recall ever waking up during the night.