t h i r t y - t h r e e

Aspen had to excuse herself from Charlie when they returned to the dance. She was keen on joining him and the ducks across the room (partially because she was looking forward to stepping on Luis's toes), but she had a few loose ends to tie up first. He gave her an understanding nod, waving her off with ease. "You know where to find me when you're ready."

When she returned to her original table, the first thing she noticed was how bored Zara looked. She was resting her hand on her fist, her eyes tiredly wavering between Jay and Peter as they engaged in a heated discussion. Roland was also watching, his bored expression almost identical to hers. The Latina perked up the moment she saw Aspen approach. "Oh thank the lord."

Roland followed her gaze, an easy smile falling onto his lips as Aspen seated herself beside him. He didn't say anything about how long she had been gone. There was an ebbing solemness in his eyes that told her he knew more than she might have expected.

"Please tell me you have a way to shut these two up," Zara pleaded, her brown eyes widened with desperation.

Aspen let out a comfortable laugh, apologetically shaking her head. "I'm open to suggestions," she responded with a small shrug. Zara let out a disappointed groan.

Aspen turned her face to Roland, who was leaning back casually in his chair, his arms crossed over his chest. The gel from his hair had been loosened, something she could only assume was the result of him habitually running his fingers through it. He had also undone his bow tie, leaving it hanging haphazardly around his collar, which had become slightly unbuttoned. Even in such a relaxed state, he looked helplessly handsome.

"Elle never came back?" Aspen asked in a hushed tone, her eyes flickering to the other side of the table to make sure the other two boys weren't paying attention.

Roland shook his head, his lips falling into a frown. "No. Not yet, anyway. Last I checked Connie was forcing her onto the dance floor," he responded with a humored lilt. His keen eyes studied the pair across the table for a moment, darting to Zara for just one short second. He let out a sigh. "Maybe it's for the best. Things are only bound to get more complicated if she's around Peter any more tonight."

"So you've noticed too, then?" Aspen asked.

Roland gave her an offended look, as though it was unbelievable that she thought he hadn't been able to see the signs that were as clear as day. "You're kidding, right?" he retorted, one eyebrow perked. He chuckled quietly, "I mean, she couldn't be any more obvious about it. And–"

He dropped his voice, his dark eyes scanning their friends one more time. He bowed his head as one last precaution. It was clear that he really didn't want anyone else to hear what he was about to say. "Between you and me," he whispered, "I'm pretty sure Peter's been trying to get her attention all year."

Aspen felt her eyebrows fly upwards, her surprise evident. "Really?" she asked in disbelief.

Roland pursed his lips as he nodded. "He's never said anything to me, but... I definitely don't think he asked her to Homecoming as a joke."

Aspen hummed in consideration. She was already trying to picture the two of them together, and it wasn't an easy feat, considering how long Elle had despised him for. But then she remembered the way he calmed her down during their argument with varsity at lunch, and the way that she stumbled over her words the moment he stepped out of the changing room. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing.

"Interesting," Aspen murmured, more to herself than to Roland. She sent him an intrigued glance. "How can you tell?"

The boy gave a small shrug. "Well, he is my best friend," he reminded with a humored smile. When Aspen rolled her eyes, he chuckled, but added, "He's not very subtle about it. Also, Zara's been bothering him to dance with her all night, and he always comes up with some dumb excuse."