t h r e e

The next morning, Aspen bumped into Connie in the parking lot. Or rather, Connie spotted the girl getting out of her brother's car and decided to wait for her. As the pair walked onto campus, Aspen asked about how tryouts went. Connie grimaced as she began.

"The rules around here are... tight. Orion is a lot different from our old coach. Plus one of our best teammates got put onto varsity, so we've lost him for the season. I'm not sure what to make of it all," the brunette sighed, tugging absentmindedly at her backpack straps. It was day two, and this new school was already beginning to wear on her. She found herself grateful that she already had a non-hockey friend to vent to.

Aspen listened intently, committing everything her friend said to memory. A new player on varsity meant that Caine was no longer the youngest -- a fact that was sure to send the boy into a tizzy. If there was one adjective to describe the middle Folsom sibling, it was prideful. He took great pride in being the established youngest varsity player. Aspen had a feeling that he was about to get quite competitive, and she was grateful she wouldn't have to deal with it. Connie continued with her recap before the other girl could even think to mention her brother. "There's also this girl from around here who made it. She seems cool."

"Elle?" Aspen asked excitedly, surprising her new friend. When Connie nodded confusedly, Aspen grinned. "She's my best friend," she explained, "she was really nervous with you guys coming aboard and all. But I told her she'd be fine."

Connie smiled, understanding flashing across her face. "She's really good," she gushed, "I've never played with a defenseman like her. She'll be a great addition."

"I'm sure," Aspen agreed, still smiling from ear to ear. She was understandably overjoyed for her friend. Of course, she hadn't had a sliver of a doubt, but to hear that she no longer had to worry was fantastic news.

The pair continued conversing calmly as they entered the school building. The hallways were already swamped with students rushing to and from lockers and classes. Right as they were approaching Aspen's locker, they were joined by a trio of boys. The boys paid no attention to Aspen as they swamped Connie with questions, some about hockey, some about classes. Aspen just walked along in awkward silence, finding herself falling behind little by little as they took long strides down the hall. The boys were very enthusiastic and distracted Connie completely. Just as Aspen felt herself completely falling behind, she spotted her locker. Connie didn't look like she was paying much attention, so Aspen just let out a quiet sigh, silently excusing herself.

As she was twisting in her combination, two people appeared at her side. Connie's face was bright red from both frustration and embarrassment. She let out a heavy breath before apologies came pouring out of her mouth. "They're so infuriating. I'm so sorry, Aspen. That was so rude. I didn't even get the chance to introduce you or anything."

Her apology warmed Aspen's heart, and the girl just smiled and shook her head. "It's alright," she promised quietly, exchanging her history textbook for her English and math books. She closed her locker and turned back to Connie. For the first time, her eyes wandered to the boy next to her, and her heart hammered in her chest.

He was cute. Really cute. Cute enough to make Aspen skittish. She accidentally met his gaze, and he immediately sent her a grin that just flustered her further. With an embarrassed shift of her weight, she turned her attention back to Connie. The boy elbowed his friend lightly, causing Connie to glare up at him for a moment before realization filled her eyes. "Oh!" she nearly shouted. She shook her head exasperatedly, "I really am all over the place today. Aspen, this is my friend Charlie Conway. Charlie, this is Aspen Folsom." She motioned to the boy next to her, who smiled softly. Aspen nodded and smiled right back. Connie elbowed Charlie, "Aspen is my seat partner in math. She's super cool."