Chapter 5: Reflective, Protective

Origins of the Recipe: this dish was originally taken from the work of Mr. J.K. Rowling. Jewels, today's cook, is not J.K.R. and therefore owns no rights and makes no money off it.

Recap of Last Time: James, Lily, and Peter get lost in the forbidden forest, and stumble upon an interesting clearing, where it's possible to apparate. Unfortunately, Death Eaters are the ones responsible for this oddity, and a couple of rebels have kidnapped a sixth year, Redival Shelley. James, Lily, and Peter manage to rescue Redival and through some accidental genius on Peter's part, escape the forest. Observing the staff's battle with the death eaters, the four crash at Hagrid's hut, until he comes and offers them the opportunity to get back to the castle. This is where we pick up. (Long chapter, long recap.)

One last note from the cook: There have been some minor, minor changes to the previous chapters. If you've already read them, there's no need to go back and read them again, although you can if you want. They're just some lil' things that help the story flow better. Lily and Remus have a more complicated friendship, and there's less detail on past James and Lily interactions.

***************************************************************

"Things are only possible until they're not." -Jean-Luc Picard (not as good as Kirk, but...)

"Accio shoes!"

A pair of black, three-inch-heeled school shoes flew into Lily's pale hands, just before she ducked behind Rubeus Hagrid again. James rolled his eyes.

"You're thinking of shoes at a time like this?" he demanded loudly over the din, as Hagrid pushed the four of them out of the way.

"It's always the ideal time to think about shoes," retorted Lily coldly. With difficultly, she shoved her feet into the shoes (causing her to wince in pain) while Hagrid pushed them a little farther on, and a jet of red light came whizzing past his ear. It was tricky business- surviving the journey to the castle, that is. At the moment, they were in the thick of it.

Professor McGonagall wasn't the only teacher there now, nor was the female Auror who had come with Korcesh the only Ministry worker. Six others, whom Lily assumed to be with the Ministry, dueled here with the Death Eaters. Besides Professor McGonagall, Professor Flitwick (Charms), Professor Avelar (Ancient Runes), Professor Kettleburn (Care of Magical Creatures), Professor Grossman (Herbology), and Professor Carmichael (Astronomy) were also putting up quite a fight.

"Quick!" shouted Hagrid, pushing James, Lily, Redival, and Peter forward rapidly, to avoid being hit. But it was too late for Peter. He was hit in the shoulder with a jet of blue light.

James's Quidditch reflexes snapped in immediately. He caught Peter before he hit the ground, and pulled him to his feet, but the Marauder was unconscious. James groaned. "Come on, Pete," he murmured, trying to drag his friend. Hagrid, jumping in front of a stunning spell, turned to the students and issued a command that was very simple, yet very complicated, at the same time.

"Run!"

Lily- businesslike- pointed her death eater's wand at Peter and said "Renerverate!"

This time, however, it was less successful. "Renerverate! Renerverate! Damn it... renerverate!"

"Reading between the lines, I'd say it's not working," snapped James, as they struggled up the slope towards the castle. Hagrid was staying on the platform below, which left the students on their own. Redival, being the farthest up the hill, turned to help James pull Peter's unconscious self up. James left Peter with Redival momentarily, and turned to help Lily up, for she was having some difficulty with her shoes. But the glare she cast him was so contemptuous that he quickly changed his mind. Once she was up, the three moved as fast as they could- James lugging Peter- towards the castle. There was only a slight trickle of students still fleeing into the castle gates, which led Lily to assume (or rather, to hope) that most were already inside.