Chapter 4: The Harrighagen Strategy

Note from the cook: I realize that VERY FREAKIN' soon, this story could become A/U, which would be very sad. So a couple of things could happen upon the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (WHICH IS REALLY FREAKIN SOON! Spazzes)There may be nothing in the book that affects this, in which case I'll just go on normally. If there's something in the book that contradicts something in this story (or something that will be in it) I can change "shaken: not stirred" to apply, if the change doesn't completely defy the purpose of the story in the first place. If the change does completely defy the purpose of the story, then I will either go on A/U, or I will delete this. Review if you have any preference about which of the last two choices I should do, should they apply.

Origins of the Recipe: I, Jewels, am not responsible for anything good that may come out of this recipe. All rights to J.K. Rowling.

Recapof last time: Death eaters attackthe Hogwarts Express, and in the chaos, the students flee for the boats to getto the castle. Lily ends up in a boat with James Potter, Sirius Black, andPeter Pettigrew, but when they have to swim for it, she ends up darting intothe forbidden forest, with James and Peter.

One last note from the cook: I'm not a fan of the Harrighagen stuff in this chapter, but it's sort of a necessary tribute to someone who may or may not end up reading this. If you do, you know who you are... lyl.

*********************************************************

"The act of repeating erroneously the words of another,"- Ambrose Bierce

And so they ran. And ran. And ran. And ran. 

For about twenty minute strait they ran.

James was in the best shape and the fastest of the three, and therefore the farthest ahead, but Lily kept a sprint not far behind, despite her lack of shoes. Peter was probably the most terrified of the three, which was the primary reason that he could keep up at all.

Then suddenly James stopped, so Lily stopped, so Peter stopped.

Lily, panting slightly, walked up to James, who was stretching. The Head Girl suddenly realized how much her feet ached (how many rocks and twigs had she stepped on?) and she sat down to examine them. They were bleeding through her ankle-length white socks.

"Shit," she whispered, knowing that it would be impossible for her to run and improbable to walk.

James heard her and loosened up. "Where are your shoes?" he asked bluntly.

"At the station, unfortunately," groaned Lily. "Three-inch heels are evil you know."

"No, I don't know... I've never worn them, but I suppose if I had, I would agree," shrugged James. Peter came up behind them, panting violently and beating his chest. His round face was very red and sweaty. "Alright there, Wormtail?" James asked, helping his friend to sit on the log that Lily had situated herself on. He conjured Peter a jagged, oddly shaped goblet of water.

"I'm... fine..." gulped Peter through the water. "Why... didn't... we... just... apparate?"

"Can't," replied the Head Boy and Girl in unison.

"You... passed... the... apparation... test... Prongs..." Peter pointed out.

"You can't apparate on Hogwarts grounds," James replied, sitting down next to Peter. "There's a spell on it that makes it impossible."

"But... the... death eaters... at... the... station..."

"That's Hogsmeade," said James, "it's not technically on 'Hogwarts grounds.' Technically." This satisfied Peter and he resigned himself to resting to regain his strength and gulping the water. Lily, on the other hand, suddenly seemed preoccupied.