VI

Now I'm nervous and I shouldn't be.

——————————————————————

Brackenstep twisted his paw, deftly flicking another silvery trout out of the water. Cedarpaw twitched his whiskers as the resulting splash brushed against his muzzle. His father had suggested that he might like to train alone today, and Cedarpaw hadn't felt like arguing about it.

So, fishing it was. With all the awkward silence, pelt-pricking tedium, and deep, dark water that activity entailed. Decidedly not one of Cedarpaw's favourite ways to pass the time.

"Just like that, you see?" Brackenstep purred, gesturing towards his catch. "Remember not to let the fish spot your shadow. Then it's all about having quick paws!"

Cedarpaw nodded as if he'd been paying attention, even though he really hadn't. "Yeah, I've got it, dad."

"Give it a try, then," Brackenstep suggested. "You're getting better. I'm sure you'll catch something."

Resigned, Cedarpaw carefully positioned himself beside the river in such a way that he wouldn't cast his shadow over it. He thought he caught the sound of rustling over the border, but he forced himself to focus on the fish flitting back and forth beneath the current. One that had been moving more slowly than the others came to a brief rest in some shade.

Caught you!

Biting down his reluctance, Cedarpaw thrust his forepaw into the chilling water. He felt his claws hook through slippery scales. The thrill of the hunt had enthralled him now, and he tugged with all the fervour of a predator intent on the kill.

"Well done!" Brackenstep observed, tail raised high with pride.

"Thank you," Cedarpaw replied simply.

Though he couldn't suppress the warm feeling spreading through his chest as he carefully set his fish alongside his father's. It was almost enough to make him forget about how wet his front legs were. Almost.

"We'd best be getting back to camp," Brackenstep decided. "This is a fine haul, but fish won't stay fresh out here in the sunlight."

"Right," Cedarpaw agreed.

While the whole fishing businesses made them more trouble than they were worth, Cedarpaw had to admit the odd, scaled creatures didn't taste too bad. So he allowed himself to draw in some of the tempting prey-scent as he lifted his catch into his jaws. Brackenstep playfully brushed his shoulder before leading the way back towards RiftClan camp.

They hardly made it away from the bank of the river, however, when the sound of paw steps sent them both on high alert. Across the water, on the edge of the SpiderClan border, was Amaranthpaw. The petite calico's pelt was fluffed up in odd places, as if she'd slept at a funny angle.

"Cedarpaw, hello," she greeted him kindly, albeit in the sort of tone that suggested she was tired. "It was... you who came and said hello to me at the last Moonshine Conclave... right?"

Cedarpaw dropped his fish with a squishy thump. "Yeah, that was me. You had to get back to your Clan before we could talk much, though."

I'm surprised you remember speaking to me at all, considering you could hardly keep yourself on your paws!

"Oh, I'm sorry," Amaranthpaw replied sheepishly. "I've just had my paws really full lately. It's even worse since Frondshade has gotten sick..."