❀ EIGHT

FEBRUARY 22, 2017

Misun took a deep breath as she did the usual. Seated on the wooden bench, soullessly looking up at the cloudless skies. It was like her - felt alive, yet empty.

Why didn't Donghyuck stop by before he left?

That phrase kept repeating in her mind like an unending chain. She felt restless thinking about it.
Two days have passed since then and she has seen him, nor heard of him.

Fingers fidgeting with the edge of her light blue checkered dress. "Stop being hopeful, Misun. He doesn't like you back."

"Who doesn't like you back?"

Flinching by the voice she glanced back to see Donghyuck waving at her. "Hey, sunflower."

She huffed and looked away, not even bothering to greet him. She felt upset, extremely upset. Misun knew it was a bit selfish or her - what if Donghyuck had his personal reasons that's why he didn't come back? But it regardless, it still hurt.

He told me he'll come back... but he didn't.

Donghyuck noticed her sulky attitude coming out and chuckled. "Will I be able to see sulky Misun again?" he cooed softly and took a seat beside her.

Misun pursed her lips together, forming a small pout as she avoided his gaze.

"Now, you're the one acting like your twelve-year-old self." he quipped making her lightly gasp and say a protest, "No I do not!"

"Yay! I made you talk to me again!" he clapped happily making Misun huff and look down at her lap.

"You didn't come back..."

He bit his lip, feeling his emotions kicking in quick the moment she brought the topic up. Of course, it was such a coward move.

He couldn't face her like that. He was her Sun, the one who made her happy and smile. The boy who radiated positivity for Misun. But that day, he was the complete opposite.

Donghyuck wasn't the playful, cheeky boy he was that day. He cried himself to sleep, he was in pain. His heart ached so much. He knew that if he went back to her, he knew that he would breakdown into tears.

He didn't want that. He didn't want Misun to see him like that.

"Donghyuck?" she turns to him, noticing his silent figure.

Misun pained to see him like that, but she understood him. It was normal. For people to get lost in life, for people to feel empty, for people to be sad.

Misun stretched out her arm and pulled his head down for it to rest on her shoulder. "Donghyuck, if you're tired... you can always lean on me..."

"S-Sun..."

"Shhh, you don't always have to be happy, it's okay to be sad."

No... if I'm sad- you'll get sad, Sun.

"Is everything okay? Did something happen during therapy?"

Nothing feels okay, Sun. Yes- I don't have much time left... my time limit in this world... I'm reaching it soon.

Those were the thoughts that surged his mind, clogged up at the back of his throat, but he couldn't tell her. Something in him prevented him from letting her know.

Instead, he wrapped an arm around Misun and gently pulled her close. "I'm okay, Sun. Nothing happened. I just feel... empty. I'm sorry- I shouldn't- I'm supposed-"

"Haechan." she cuts him off, "Everyone can feel empty. Everyone can feel sadness, even bright people like you. You don't have to feel sorry for only being human."

Donghyuck swallowed the thick lump that formed in his throat, burying his face into the crook of Misun's neck. Tears slowly cascading down his cheeks.

Misun gently rubbed his back in a comforting manner, sometimes running her fingers in his hair to soothe him. She mustered up all the courage and placed a kiss on top of his head.

You always have me.

• • •