"Care to join me for a walk?" He asked, his blue eyes looked into mine expectantly, my knees went weak and so did my will to say no.

"As you wish." I replied in the most serious and uninterested manner I could manage.

I took hold of his arm and we walked in silence past the tulip garden and then over to the roses. Summer made the flowers become alive, the roses were blood red, their petals looked so soft, I wanted to take one up to my room and paint it, but roses such as other beautiful things were guarded by thorns in order to prevent hands from touching them. Thranduil was not studying the roses, he was studying me. I could feel his eyes trying to search my face, I could feel his hand rest on the one that took hold of his arm, for some reason Thranduil changed when he was with me, his guard went down a little and it scared me.

A small white bench appeared in the distance and Thranduil made his way towards it. I let go of his arm as I watched him sit down. His silver blond hair was in place as always but today he wore no crown, instead he wore a simple grey robe and his eyes seemed relaxed. I stared at him in awe, his eyes landed on mine and a smile crossed his face, he stretched out his hand and took mine.

"Sit down Caladhiel." He ordered.

I said nothing and sat; close enough for his hand to rest on my thigh but far enough so I wouldn't be touching him.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" He asked after a few minutes of silence.

"No...I haven't it's just I've had...I've had...a lot on my mind." Words didn't come easy when I was around him and with his burning touch on my thigh I felt lightheaded.

"I wanted to apologize to you, believe me when I tell you I'm not one to apologize." His words were soft and they matched the expression in his eyes.

"You have done nothing wrong my lord." I responded.

"But I have. It was wrong for me to come on to you like that when we were alone, I enjoy your company for some reason, you're like a breath of fresh air. I wouldn't like to loose you." His words took me by surprise, my heart started to race and my face turned red.

"I don't know what to say my lord." I tore my eyes away from him. Those words were all I wanted to hear, all of the stollen glances across the table, his harsh ways, every time he talked to me and when I responded he smirked, the smiles he seem to give me and no one else...it was all because he cared for me.

"Don't say anything but promise me one thing." He moved his hand from my thigh to my hand. "Come dine with me in my quarters, they have an exceptional view of the mountains." I looked towards him again, his eyes were not too expressive as always but in them I saw hope.

"That sounds lovely my lord." I answered with a shy smile. A strand of hair fell loose from my braid and landed on my face. With graceful hands Thranduil caught it and placed it behind my ear.

"Stop calling me my lord, please." He stiffled a laugh and his smile grew wider.

"Yes my lord." I replied automatically and then laughed. "I'm sorry."

"I'll see you tonight then." He said as he stood up and walked away, not giving me a chance to respond.

*

Later that night I found myself walking up a giant spiral staircase towards Thranduil's chambers. For dinner I'd picked out the red dress I had planned to wear the night him and I bathed together, on my neck hung a golden necklace with a single pearl shaped like a tear drop, I decided to wear my hair loose but adorned with a golden head piece. I was nervous there was no denying it and I didn't want to admit to Thranduil that dispite all of the times he treated me badly I enjoyed his company as well. I knocked on the door and a footman opened it.