𝐯𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐮𝐧𝐨

L I A R

L I A R.
act 2, scene 3

THE INSPECTOR FELT as if she had began to pity Inés. No matter how many times she was reminded to stay focused on the questions she was asked, the girl always seemed to gaze off into the nothingness with dull eyes. She was a shell of who she was before everything started to self-destruct.

"Inés, do you know if anything could have happened to make him disappear off the radar?"

Inés managed to shake her head with whatever energy she had left, her eyes still staring at the blank wall behind the Inspector's head. "He'd never leave without telling someone." She answered.

"Is it possible he tried to?" The woman suggested, flicking through her pages of notes.

"What do you mean?" Inés frowned, snapping her gaze over to the Inspector.

"Well, maybe he tried to tell you he was leaving, but you decided not to listen?"

──── T H R E E  MONTHS EARLIER

"OYE, INÉS!"

LU'S VOICE WASN'T one Inés expected to hear as she jogged through the streets of her neighbourhood. Carla had advised her to take the day off school, knowing she would inevitably blurt something out about Christian if she attended.

He was going to a clinic in Switzerland to keep him quiet. Carla's father was paying for his silence.

"Has something happened?" Inés asked as she caught her breath, stopping to take out her earbuds and walk over to Lu's unrolled window.

"Get in. We're going for drinks at the new girl's house." She answered, reaching over to unlock the door for Inés.

"What about Marina's mass?"The girl sighed out a reply, only shuffling slightly closer.

"Guzmán doesn't want anyone to go." Lu grumbled, flipping her hair over her shoulders like she usually did when she was annoyed at her boyfriend. "Are you getting in or what?"