Roll The Dice

CHAPTER 01 - I'm Coming Home Part I 

I arrived in our New York home at half past five in the afternoon with all my bags and purse clinging heavily on my arms. It was my first break since my crazy magazine internship started and all I wanted as soon as I stepped inside the house is to cuddle with my puppy, Chippy. "Oh hey, Chippy! How's my little girl?" I carried the dog as soon as all my bags were gathered by Linda, our helper since I was very little. The house is unusually quiet, Mom's probably out again. "Where are they, Linda?" I asked. "Oh, your dad left this morning but said he'll be back for dinner and your mom went to the spa, I don't know if she'll be back for dinner" Linda answered. I nodded, gave my directions to get all my bags upstairs to my room and just walked just behind her going upstairs. Once I got to my room, I fell asleep right away on my bed.

The sound of laughter filled my ears as I woke up from my nap; they must be home already. Looking at the clock on the table, I realized that it's already past 7pm; I must've slept a while ago while unpacking my things. Chippy's trying to wiggle out of my grip, so I let her go and stood up to go down for a glass of water because my throat felt like a dessert already; this is probably the result of trying to get as much sleep on the cab drive home. I turned to the kitchen but suddenly something--scratch that, someone bumped into me.

"Ow!" We both exclaimed as we crashed to each other. The boy not only bumped into me but also accidentally spilled his cold water onto my favorite Beatles shirt which dad gave me for my 15th birthday. How it still fit me after 6 years is beyond me, really. "Oh I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to. I'm really really sorry!" The boy said panicking on how to dry my shirt. I on the other hand just stood there--with an amused face, watching the boy panic--with my arms crossed in front. He had this rocker-ish look and feel with his hair falling all over the place but they look so soft. His face kinda looks chubby but his arms and body are a little toned; definitely the drummer. He looked around until he found a tissue and decided he would just try to pat me dry with it. I thought ahead of him, held up my pointy finger which halted him in his state, "Don't you even dare" I warned. It seemed to have snapped him out of it and thought that he almost touched me without meaning to. "Oh of course. I'm sorry again." He finally said. I felt that he was humiliated enough already and frankly, I felt bad for him so I decided to talk. "It's okay, but who are you anyway? You seem way too young to be my dad's business buddy." I asked, assessing his not so business-y attire.

"You must be Alexandra! Your dad's told us so much about you. I'm Jamie Follese. Your dad--" he was cut off by a voice that made me jump for joy. It was my dad coming up from behind him. "Is an amazing and handsome father!" He said as he welcomed me in an embrace. "Hello sweetie, welcome home! I was about to wake you earlier but I guess you were that tired. You almost crushed Chippy while you were sleeping." Dad teased and all I could do was sigh in defeat. "And I see that you've met the drummer of our new baby in the label." He said while grabbing a glassful of water. Gotcha, I thought.

"Now, Alexandra honey, would you mind joining us for our little celebratory dinner?" He continued and I nodded almost too excitedly. "I'm gonna change upstairs first though. So, I'll see you guys in a bit!" I said, leaving the two men to themselves and ran upstairs to change my clothes.

I heard my cellphone vibrating against my bedside table in the corner of my room as I was putting on my white 'Muse' shirt I got from their concert a couple years back. I jumped onto my bed and rolled to get to the other side and grabbed my cellphone. I ran out of my room and walked downstairs while checking who the message was from. Once I read the name of the sender, it was no surprise already that on the first few hours of my so called "work-break" my boss, Paul is still on my back trying to get me to do some errands while he's on the company's teambuilding in Rhode Island. "This is crazy. This man is absolutely crazy." I muttered under my breath and pocketed my phone.