Chapter 2

Emma

"Mum!" I yell, feeling the darkness take its grip on my heart once more. I have a revelation, and realise that I will be fine until it completely takes hold of my heart. At that point, my eyes will turn black and I will become a danger to everyone around me. A slamming door brings me out of my thoughts, and I explain to Mum quickly, not knowing how long I have.

When I finish, she just nods, and pulls something out of her pocket. She gives it to me, and I touch the dark leather, knowing exactly what it does. I fasten the cuff around my wrist and smile as I feel my magic respond to the block.

"Thanks, Mum," I say. As long as I can't get to anything harmful, I will not be able to use my magic on anyone, or for teleporting or conjuring. All of a sudden, my vision goes black.

A moment later, I open my eyes, and wave my hand, ready to hurt Regina even more. When nothing happens, I look down at my wrist and growl in frustration, which only grows when I notice Snow White sitting across from me.

"You did this?" I growl, standing up and advancing on her. Her eyes widen as I advance on her, but I grab her by the arm, not giving her a chance to escape. "You took my magic away, and now you're focussing on poor little Regina instead of your promise to me to help me get rid of the darkness. Well, guess what? I like the darkness. So I don't need you or your precious Charming to save me; I've saved myself." I fling her aside and stride out the room and up to Regina, led in my parents' bed. She recoils as she sees me approach.

"Emma..." She begs, her voice still weak from our adventure last night. It annoys me, how she's acting like a mouse around me, thinking that's what I need. As I go to hurt her, feeling an intense need to punish her for her actions, spots appear in my vision, and my legs give way beneath me.

Regina

I yell for Snow as dark Emma collapses at the foot of my bed and her outfit and hairstyle change back. Her eyes are the last thing to revert, staying black until everything else is back to normal.

Snow runs out of the room and whimpers when she sees her daughter. She lies her down on the sofa, but then David and Henry walk through the door, closely followed by Robin. He left to find them when Snow explained everything to me. David seems to have caught Henry up, as he doesn't question my presence in my stepdaughter's bed.

"Is she OK?" David asks, hurrying towards his daughter. Snow grabs his arm and pulls him into the bathroom to explain, leaving the task of filling in Robin and Henry with the latest to me. They turn to me expectantly, and I sigh before beginning.

"Basically, Emma is now the Dark One, but only at points. Sometimes she's just normal Emma, but then the darkness takes hold of her heart and she becomes someone we're calling the Dark Swan, because Emma didn't want the actions of the darkness being attributed directly to her. It's a bit like how I talk about what the Evil Queen did instead of what I did." I explain to the best of my ability. Henry sighs.

"I think I get it. Mum, don't blame yourself. I know she sacrificed herself for you but it's not your fault." He reinforces his message, knowing that I was about to apologise to him for giving his other Mum the darkness. I go to hug him, but the shooting pain through my abdomen reminds me that I won't be moving anywhere for a while.

Emma

When I come round, I am led on the sofa in my parents' loft, back in my normal attire. It takes me a while to remember what I did this time under the influence of the darkness, and I groan and get up, determined to apologise to Mum.

When I find her, she and Dad are discussing what to do about me and my Dark counterpart, and I join in the conversation.

"Mum, I'm really sorry." I start, but she cuts me off.