Chapter Eight- She Was Wrong

The light was dark. All Luna could think about was the safety of Sirius, her friends back home; Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Neville and her parents. She'd accepted her future. It was just as the light faded from her that she realized. She realized that she cared a lot for the last person she'd seen.

She felt something for him. Was it love? The only thing she was sure of was the fact that she'd give her life for his. Maybe it was because of her brave nature, maybe it was because of her heart. She'd die not knowing.

Her thoughts then moved onto her friends. It moved to Harry Potter. In many ways Luna and he were similar. Then again, in many ways they were not. But they had a certain understanding of each other which meant that they got along well.

She thought of Hermione Granger, who was sometimes narrow-minded but wonderfully kind, especially when standing up for Luna.

Ron Weasley was incredibly brave and loyal when it came down to it, even if he could be insensitive sometimes.

Ginny , who had been her best friend for many years, was really sensitive in comparison to her brother. She was caring and warm.

And then she thought of Neville, who had an element of strength at his core. He was unjudgemental and Luna had an immense respect for her friend because of that.

Her mother and father were very different from each other. Xenophillius Lovegood had so many eccentric beliefs he was almost overcome by them to the point that he felt alone but Pandora would always be there to comfort him. The witch was very curious herself and that eventually led to her downfall but she had always remembered the important things. Luna's father needed his wife and daughter to remind him that he wasn't alone at all. Not ever. Even now he wouldn't be alone. Luna would make sure of it somehow.

There was something that suddenly sparked her into action. It was the thought of all these important people. Friends that she owed her life to. The least she could do for them would be to fight. So she did indeed start to fight for her life and battle against the darkness. If her soul was not strong enough then she would accept that. But she would try her best like she always did.

The darkness she saw turned to a dark blue colour as she felt her soul leaving her body. She fought on, making one last grasp for life.

Then everything went black again and she knew that her soul had almost completely left her body. At this point she accepted her fate. She knew very well that our futures should not be tampered with.

But as I said at the beginning readers- our futures are impossible to predict. So in predicting and accepting her future Luna had, unusually, got it wrong.

You see, as the Dementor began to suck out her soul she'd fainted. She didn't notice that Sirius had tried to rub past the Dementor he was fighting, so he could lure it outside and away from Luna, instead of escaping himself.

As soon as he was out of the door of the cell he cast another patronus. This spell needed happy memories to work. As he shouted 'expecto patronum' he thought of the marauders, he thought of James' caring parents who had looked after him all these years and he thought of Luna. The dog that flowed from his wand growled and ran at the Dementor savagely. His wand began to break from the pure darkness and strength of the dementor. His wand was releasing such a bright light that he was almost blinded himself.

Sirius' patronus snarled and leapt at the horrific creature, pushing it back a few feet. This didn't phase the dementor though. Even with just deep crevices in place of the eyes it still somehow maintained grave eye contact with the human. The bright light was drawing the attention of all the other cloaked skeletal beings; more and more were enclosing on Sirius, who was still outside of the cell.

The sound of Luna falling to the ground echoed around the cell like a broken voice being carried by the wind. There was something almost graceful about the way she had lay there, sprawled across the floor, her eyes frozen open but she was far from awake. Sirius immediately let go of his patronus in terror and ran to Luna's side. He dropped to his knees beside her.

He lifted her body. He held her in his arms. Her limp body- flimsy and fragile, was freezing. Her mouth was slightly parted, though he could see no sign of breath leaving her lips.

His shaky hands put the time tuner around them both then he fumbled with turning wheel and panicked. The moonlight from the open door illuminated the delicate tears falling from his face. They fell onto Luna's now dirty yellow jumper as he held her close to him. For a moment the salty droplets were suspended on the canary jumper, like glistening diamonds in a barren desert. 'You are not leaving me now.' he said to her, even though she was unresponsive. 'I was so stupid to even think of leaving you now. I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I'll get you out of here.'

The cloaked skeleton Luna had been fighting was still extracting her core. Sirius saw Luna's soul being dragged from her body.

A delicate, shining blue light rose from her mouth. 'Don't you dare.' he growled 'You are not going to kill her. I won't let you.' He cast another final patronus, just as the timeturner transported them both. He had no idea whether he had transported her soul too.

Author's Note- Wow. Hi! Thank you all so much for taking the time to read my fanfiction. I'm really enjoying writing it and I hope you're enjoying reading it. Feel free to leave a comment, I love reading them :) You're awesome! - hippywitch