Maybe he deserved to feel like this? He did put a hole in his head after all. His tired eyes watered as he continued to take laboured breaths, his hands now sweaty, his body fidgeting as he rocked himself back and forth. He was having a panic attack and he couldn't stop it any longer.

It was only when he heard an all so familiar voice that he flinched, unclenching his eyes as he looked up to see a blurry figure through his tears.

Charlie.

"Hey, hey, Alex, what's wrong." The younger boy spoke softly as he slid down next to Alex's shaky figure, gently placing his hand on his shoulder. "It's okay Lex, try and slow your breathing, I'm gonna help you through this." He smiled calmly as the frail boy tentatively nodded, burying his head into Charlie's chest impulsively. He didn't know what else to do. He needed this boy right now, he needed someone to tell him he'd be okay. He felt like he was dying. Was he dying?

Charlie pulled him into a gentle hug, one hand brushing through his fluffy hair as he rubbed soothing circles with the other into the boy's back. He didn't ask questions in that moment. He knew Alex needed to be held, and that was enough.

"It's okay Lex, I've got you, I've got you." He pressed a kiss into his hair, holding back his own tears as he felt his boy shake, tears staining his burgundy jumper.

After sitting like that for 10 minutes, Charlie constantly whispering calming words into Alex's ear, Alex pulled his head up slowly, drying his tears with a shaky hand. Charlie giggled breathlessly, using his thumb to gently wipe them from his cheeks.

"I-I'm s-sorry." Alex whimpered quietly, looking down at the floor in embarrassment. "Y-You shouldn't have to d-deal with that." He gulped nervously as he pulled back.

"Hey, hey, hey, never say that Lex." He shook his head, clasping his hand between both of his. "You should only ever be yourself in front of me, I like you for you, and right now I'm worried about you, we all are." He frowned. "You look like you haven't slept in weeks Alex."

Alex sighed, breathing back his tears as he prepared to tell Charlie what had been going on. He felt as if he could trust him. Tell him anything in that moment.

"G-Gunshots." He whispered earning a look of confusion from the younger boy. "E-Ever since the drill, I-it's all I can hear. I-I haven't slept, I can't focus, a-and I feel like it's never going t-to stop." He began to cry softly again, burying his head into his hands as Charlie grew concerned.

"Jesus Alex, c'mere" Charlie pulled him into his embrace for a second time, this time looping his arms round his thin frame. "You should have told me, you shouldn't have to go through this on your own. I'm here now though, and it's gonna be okay, it'll get better I promise." He tried to soothe the boy, pulling away slightly to peck him on the lips. "I'm gonna help you."

"B-but no matter what I do I c-can't sleep." He whimpered. "I close my eyes and I'm back there, holding the g-gun." He gulped.

"Let's get your home okay?" Charlie took off his jacket, instinctively wrapping it around his boy as he pulled away. "I have a plan to help you get some sleep."
.
.
"I've tried everything Charlie." Alex huffed as the younger boy handed him the hot chocolate.

They had been in Alex's room for half an hour, and while Alex freshened himself up, Charlie had drawn the drapes, turned on Alex's indie string lights and set up a movie on his laptop. Alex had walked out of his bathroom in a long bed shirt and some comfy shorts to find Charlie sat with two cups of hot chocolate, and a smirk on his face as he patted the space next to him on the bed.

"Well, you're not gonna try to go to sleep Lex, we are gonna watch a movie instead." Charlie smiled, pressing a kiss to Alex's forehead as the older boy began to sit comfortably in his embrace, propped up by an abundance of cushions.

"It's A Wonderful Life." Alex giggled breathlessly, rolling his eyes. "The movie from the party? That's going to stop my stupid head from spinning?"

"Well, we never got to finish it at the house party, and we were definitely too high to remember what happened, so yes, this is what we are going to do." He winked at Alex as he snuggled down to lay against his chest, pressing play quickly as they settled amongst the dim light. All he needed was for Alex's mind to focus on something else, it was the only plan he had.

Alex felt warm and comfortable in his bed for the first time in days, his head laying softly in the crook of Charlie's neck. He could smell his cologne, simple but sweet, understated and comforting, just like Charlie. For the first time in days, when he closed his eyes he couldn't hear gunshots, only his boyfriend's heartbeat, pattering softly in a calming rhythm. He felt calm too, he was no longer scared.

So when Charlie looked down at him only five minutes later, he smiled lovingly at Alex's sleeping form, his heart melting as his hand gripped softly at Charlie's jumper, his head finally peaceful against his chest. He pressed a kiss to his head, and pulled the blankets up over his small figure.

"One day we'll finish this movie." He chuckled to himself.
.
.
A/N - Ahhh so that's my first Chalex oneshot!! Please send me any requests in the comments!! I'll try to do as many of them as I can!! ❤️