The person would get a nicely aimed punch into the face if I wouldn't realize it was Carlos. He gave me a look his eyes pointing up towards the tree and I followed the orders and started climbing. Carlos was right after me but didn't make it far before the dog got to us. 

"Oh my sweet teacups," I mumbled under my breath clinging tightly to the tree. The dog was right under us yapping at us. His mouth was maybe small but full of sharp teeth I bet. I am not going to be its toothpick. 

"Carlos? Christeen?" Ben's voice yelled through the forest gaining our attention. 

"Ben? Ben?" We both yelled at the same time desperate for some help. I hissed a little at the dog who was just wagging its tail at us. How does an attacking dog look like please tell me? 

"Whoa-Whoa-Whoa!" Ben yelled coming over and the dog went over to him...happily? What? 

"Ben, help us! This thing is a killer! He's gonna chase us down and rip out our throat. This is a vicious, rabid pack animal!" Carlos said pointing towards the dog who was being picked up by Ben. 

"Hey, who told you that?" Ben asked with a hint of a laugh. 

"My father!" 

"My mother!" 

"Cruella and Cheshire cat?" Ben asked surprised. 

"She's a dog expert. A dog yellerer." Carlos explained shrugging his shoulders. 

"My dad's a cat, has enough information about dogs that I need. Why are you holding him? He's gonna attack you!" I yelled my hand slipping a bit and I almost fell on Carlos but I managed to maintain my grip again. 

"You two never actually met a dog, have you." I looked down at Carlos when Ben asked the question he also glanced up at me shaking his head. 

"Of course not." 

"All the dogs left the Wonderland when they could so...no. Not really." I answered. My grip on the tree was tightening more and more. I am not about to fall for the sweet looks of the rather cute looking animal. 

"Dude, meet Carlos and Christeen. Carlos, Chriteen, this is Dude. He's the campus mutt." Ben said and Carlos started slowly climbing down the tree. 

"Carlos," I whispered getting slightly scared of his actions. Was he really going to let go of the tree? 

"He doesn't look like a vicious, rabid pack animal. Jeez. You're a good boy, aren't you? You're a good boy." I watched as Carlos pet the dog and he didn't lose his arm while doing so. Carlos took Dude in his arms and started stroking his fur. Dude's head turned towards me and he looked deep into my eyes. It was as if he had hypnotized me. Those big brown eyes, similar to Carlos'. It brought to me some strange comfort and I was slowly loosening my grip on the branch of the tree. Carlos seemed to notice and he smiled handing Dude back to Ben and came under the tree standing right under me. 

"Do you trust me?" He asked looking up at me. My attention turned to him fully now. Should I trust him? I never trusted anyone but my three friends and that's just because I know them all my life. Has Carlos gained enough points in my eyes for me to trust him? Well...I guess. 

"Yeah," I whispered causing him to smile brightly at me. 

"Then let go, don't worry I'll catch you," He assured me and strangely enough I believe him. I let go of the branch I was clinging to. Out of habit, I closed my eyes when I was falling, praying that believing Carlos was a good choice. And when I felt his arms around me I was sure it was. I let my eyes open to be met with the amazing, friendly brown orbs that just make my heart melt. Ew, so much emotion. Why? 

"Um...you can put me down you know," I whispered feeling a bit embarrassed because I realized Ben was watching the whole thing. Carlos blushed a little but lowered me down so I could stand on my own two feet.  Ben grinned wildly and neared me with the dog in his arms. Warily I reached my hand to pat his head, my eyes closing expecting to be bitten or ripped apart when suddenly I felt something wet hit the skin of my arm. My eyes snapped open to see Dude licking my hand causing me to giggle. 

"Here, take him," Ben offered, handing me the pale brown ball of fur. I held the dog in my arms while he proceeded from licking my hand to licking my face. Oh, how wonderful. 

"Pal, no offense but your breath smells," I remarked with a grimace but the dog seemed unbothered by my discomfort of his unwashed teeth odor. Carlos and Ben, however, laughed at me. Carlos reached over and scratched behind Dude's ear while smiling widely. 

"I guess you guys have it pretty rough on the island or in Wonderland," Ben said watching closely our interaction with the small animal. I guess I actually am more dog person than a cat one. Is it too weird? I am a cat after all. But back at home, everything is reversed so...no trouble. 

"Yeah. Let's just say we don't get a lot of belly rubs," Carlos said with a sad laugh while he continued petting Dude. I glanced up at Ben with a small smile. 

"Wonderland isn't exactly as carefree as people here think," I answered him not wanting to go into details. It would just become depressing. People tend to think that since Wonderland is full of madmen that it is a crazy ride all the time...yes crazy it is indeed but once you live there long enough crazy gets a whole new definition and let's just say it's not really good. Ben just nodded at my answer and then turned to Carlos putting a hand on his shoulder. 

"Good boy." We both looked at Ben weirdly when he said that and he seemed to notice so he quickly corrected himself. "I mean, you're a good runner. You're... you're fast, you know." Ben said kinda awkwardly while Carlos just grinned nodding his head. 

"Yeah. Thank you." 

"Yeah. Listen, I'm gonna give you guys some space, yeah? You guys get to know each other and just, you know, come find me when you're done, okay?" 

"Okay." We both chorused. I went to sit down on the log that was by the tree where we climbed earlier. Dude still in my arms. 

"I'll see you later," Ben said to both of us as he went to leave. 

"See you out there," Carlos yelled after him while he went to sit next to me. 

"Bye Ben," I yelled simultaneously with Carlos and scooted over to give him some space next to me. 

"He seems to like you," Carlos remarked smirking at the way Dude made himself comfortable on me. 

"I guess he does," I laughed and turned Dude to face Carlos as he started licking his freckled face causing Carlos to laugh loudly. "And he likes you too," I laughed along. Dude really seemed to like both of us and we both found some affection towards the little creature.