Chapter 28

Cousin

The next morning came and I heard a faint voice from my door. "Sapphire..." Auntie knocked. The door opened and her head peeked inside. I burried my face on the pillow so she wouldn't see my bloodshot eyes. I don't know how much I cried last night, but everything is just hard to accept. 

I rubbed my eyes and looked at the ceiling. I think I prefer the hardwood I had in Georgebury than the marble one in front of me. Auntie fully went inside my room. She's already dressed up – grey tube top with a pairing skirt and ankle strapped heels. The jewelry on her wrist and neck screamed wealth.

"I will be taking you to our company today," She said. My face felt puffy, but my brows managed to shot up. Curiosity burned my insides. "You should go get dressed." She gently said and went out.

My weak legs walked towards the walk-in closet. The cabinets consisted of short outfits, other than the night gowns and pajamas. I saw some flashy dresses and heels too. But I just stuck to wearing the boots I had with me, along with a prussian blue skater dress amongst the pile. I don't think I could accept all the clothes she has for me. I should have brought with me my clothes in Georgebury.

"You look wonderful as ever, Sapphire," Auntie greeted in the living room. 

"T-thank you," I looked down my feet.

"Let's eat first." She said and we went to the dining area. 

The maids prepared food for us and I felt too shy to eat with her. Like I don't deserve the food being served to me. After eating, we went down the tower and got inside Auntie's car. It's a different one this time – a Bentley. The ride was a short. The driver dropped us in front of a building. 

Vazquez Group of Companies.

It was the first thing I read on the entrance. Beside it is a grey steel VGC logo.

Almost all heads turned when we walked inside. I started to feel nervous. My nerves thrashed as curious eyes of employees looked at me. "Good morning, ma'am." They would greet when they pass by. My eyes wandered to the architectural style embedded on every wall. The interior was sleek and modern. I never imagined my father owning all this. 

Auntie led me to an elevator and we went all the way up. We arrived to another lobby surrounded by floor to ceiling windows. I can see the Hudson River from here.

"Hello Gela," Auntie greeted a woman behind the counter. "Send in my schedule later." The woman nodded and began to type on computer in front of her.

We walked towards a door, revealing Auntie's office. My gaze travelled across the spacious room. One side had a commemorative plaque and several certificates on the wall, as well as picture frames. My feet unconsciously took me there.

Garrett Robert Vazquez, CEO

Vazquez Group of Companies