Let's talk about...

Laura was at home eating a bowl of Banana Split ice cream when her cell phone rang. She looked at the unknown number popping on her caller ID and decided to answer it anyway.

"Hello," she answered hastily.

"Hello, is this Laura?" the caller asked.

"Yes, may I ask who's speaking?" Laura inquired.

"I'm the fly ass nigga you saw today with your friend," the caller said cockily.

"Who?" Laura looked at the phone like she could see the person.

"I doubt that you meet too many fly niggas, especially around here," the caller continued. "So I'll wait until it comes back to you."

"Michael?" Laura said hesitantly.

"See I told you that you wouldn't have to think hard," Michael laughed.

Laura instantly perked up.

"I didn't expect you to call," Laura said.

"That tends to be implied when you give a person your number," Michael said.

Laura giggled. "Meaning I thought you said you didn't have a phone."

"I wouldn't let that stop me," Michael said. "Besides I had to hear your sexy voice again."

"Really?" Laura said smiling from ear to ear.

"Yeah, but enough of that corny shit. What you doing?" Michael asked.

Laura looked at her tub of ice cream that was laying beside her and the bowl that was on her lap.

"Nothing much," she said.

"Good, then you wouldn't mind going out with me," Michael said. "Since your friend did drag you over there to meet me."

"How you figured that?" Laura asked. She was really digging this guy's style and swagger.

"Why else would she bring you over there?"Michael just asked her back. "To watch her hug up on her fake ass boyfriend?"

Laura laughed. Michael was the truth.

"So what if she did?" Laura asked. "Now what?"

"Well you meet me, and I know you like me," Michael said.

"How you figured that?" Laura inquired but couldn't help but smile.

"It's a gift," Michael replied. "It's called observation."

"You know you're real full of yourself," Laura stated to him.

"Hey, someone has to be," Michael replied.  "How else you expect other people to look at you as someone special if you don't see it."

Laura nodded her head. "Okay, mister philosopher, where are you taking me?"

"I don't know, something cheesy," Michael said. "I figure we can do dinner and maybe a movie if you up to it."

"You took a chance calling me and just asking me out," Laura said. "I could already have had plans."

"That's how people find out stuff," Michael remarked. "They ask."

Laura shook her head. This boy was too much. But he was just what she needed to get out of the rut she was feeling.

"Okay, give me your address and I'll be there to pick you up," Michael said. "Text to the phone number I'm calling you from so I can put it on my GPS."

"How do you know I want you to know where I live?" Laura asked.

"You can come pick me up if that will make you feel better," Michael said.