6. The Point Of View

|WELCOME|

"A good Point of View is the soul of a book, it makes you forget that you're reading fiction."

In this update, I'd introduce you to the backbone of a book

In this update, I'd introduce you to the backbone of a book. Let's start with a layman definition, A point of view aka POV, is the person through whom, a story is being narrated. The POV carries your story and engages a reader. If the POV is sloppy or inappropriate, it'll turn the reader off.

Undoubtedly, a POV is the most complicated part of book writing. (At least, I feel so)

Why is the POV aspect of the book so complicated? Well, first you'll have to choose the appropriate POV. POV's vary from genre to genre and across storylines, it becomes difficult for an individual to choose the right one. Once you choose a POV style for your book, you'll have to focus a lot on the exposure you can give to the readers. In other words, If you choose a First Person POV, (will be explained in detail later) you can only mention instances that, that person is aware of. If you choose a Third Person POV, you'll have to include instances from almost all characters' lives.

But don't you worry, I've spent hours researching on this topic and would dedicate several updates to this, since this is one topic all of you need to give maximum attention to.

Types of Point of View (Broad)

Broadly, there are three types of Point of Views: First person, Second Person and Third Person.

I would be referring to these in acronym forms: First Person POV (FPP), Second Person POV (SPP) and Third Person POV (TPP). Each POV will have separate updates dedicated to them, since they themselves have a lot of types. Here, I'll give you a gist into what these point of views are.

First Person POV (FPP): (More details in subsequent updates)

In this type of POV, one of the character is narrating the story and a majority of times it's the protagonist. In this type of point of view, personal pronouns, like I, me, we and, us are used. With FPP, we only follow what the protagonist sees or feels. A reader can see into the mind of the character. This is a confined type of a POV, you are confined to write only from the perspective of the character who's narrating the story. You can only write about the scenes in which your character appears. Even a FPP has several types, which I would discuss in the next updates, along with the advantages and disadvantages of the same.

Second Person POV (SPP): More details in the subsequent updates)

In this type of POV, the narrator speaks directly to the reader. A lot of critics believe that it is similar to breaking the fourth wall. This is a challenging POV of write and suits only certain genres. If used in fiction, the reader is the character. This POV lures the readers in, makes them the character and then allows them to experiences a story as if it was their own. But a majority of times it is used in books that give advice, self help books, motivational books or in short stories. One of my favourite books uses SPP. Find time to read The Secret by Rhonda Byrne.

Third Person POV: (More details in subsequent updates)

The third person POV is somewhat similar to watching a movie, only difference is that you're reading it in a book. This POV follows multiple characters and their narratives. It can involves scenes with any character of the book. Here, the narrator acts as if he's watching the whole story unfold from above, like it's a puppet show and describing it. TPP also has its own types, there is a one in which the narrator is aware of the feelings of all the characters, as if he's in their head and, there's one which is limited, just to basic story unfolding. Here, we use third person pronouns to express the whole story, like he, she or they. One of the greatest example ofThird Person POV would be the Harry Potter Series by J.K Rowling.

Multiple POV's:

Multiple POV's:

This type of POV involves using multiple perspectives in your story. Generally, multiple POV's are written as the protagonist and a narrator, ie. in First person and in third person, respectively. There's also a common trend for using one male and one female POV in young adult or Romantic stories. I've used this type of POV in three of my stories. But with the fun of getting to know both the protagonist's, comes several difficulties. A multiple POV has to be executed perfectly and there shouldn't be confusion caused between the characters. The Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore is one such series that uses several point of views; at least 7!

|{}|{}|{}|{}|{}|
Hello, guys.

What do you think about this update? Did it help? If you are still confused, don't worry I'll take these POV's up again in subsequent updates.

Also, I'll soon be updating a chapter on Book Reviews. You can mention your books there and I would find time to read and give you constructive feedback. So, stay tuned with me and wait for the updates.

Mention writers who should check out this book, here——->

Love,
Isha