stay pure | mirio

pairing: mirio togata x shy!reader

warnings: mentions of death, angst, fluffy goodness

≿————- ❈ ————-≾

Growing up wasn't easy for you at all. Especially after your quirk manifested. You were three years old, playing in the backyard of your house. You walked over to your dog, petting her soft fur. The dog began to whimper softly, attempting to pull away from your hand.

Confusion overtook your facial features as you picked her up, placing her on your lap.

"What's wrong Cookie?" You continued to pet her fur, trying to calm her down. She began to take deep and shallow breaths, fighting for you to release your grip on her body.

Cookie let out a loud groan before laying limp, feeling heavy in your arms. You quickly jumped up, continuing to hold her.

"MOMMY! DADDY!" You screamed as tears streamed down your face. You glanced down at Cookie through your blurry tears, watching her soul leave her lifeless body.

That was 15 years ago. That dark memory still haunts you every time you think about your childhood home. Soon after the incident, you went to a doctor to confirm what you already knew and feared: a deadly quirk manifested inside of you.

Your quirk was called "Poison Liquid". It granted you the ability to turn anything that was in a liquid state of matter (like water) into poison, simply by touching it. However, your ability didn't stop there. You could also turn a someone's blood into poison, killing them in seconds.

Growing up with a quirk like that was difficult. After making friends in school, they would always ask what your quirk was. After explaining to them what you could do, kids always seemed to steer clear of you, scared that you're going to lose control, just like you did with Cookie that day.

You always knew that you wanted to be a hero. You wanted to help people. You wanted people to adore and rely on you. You wanted people to see you as a role model, not a monster.

You decided to apply to UA, the prestigious hero school that any aspiring hero only dreamt of attending. You miraculously made it in, beating some of the top kids in your country.

You are now in your third year at UA. You've been able to gain control over your quirk, but it still scares you to death of the thought of touching and accidentally killing someone. To prevent this from happening, you wear gloves everywhere you go.

You haven't exactly made any friends during your time here due to your scary quirk and shy attitude. There is only one person who comes to mind when you think of the word "friend". That person is Mirio Togata.

He's apart of the Big 3 alongside Amajiki Tamaki and Nejire Hado. While everyone else avoids you wherever you go, Mirio is always going out of his way to speak to you. He sits next to you at lunch sometimes. He speaks to you in the halls on the way to class, talking about random subjects like homework or work studies. You don't talk much, but when you do, he is hung on your every word. It's almost like he enjoys your company, which you find pretty hard to believe.

Those thoughts are especially fresh in your mind after the words you heard earlier that day.

You were in the bathroom back at your dorms, using it before you head to attend your class in about 30 minutes. You hear the door open, followed by the noise of footsteps walking over to the mirrors. You stop your movements in the stall, not wanting to draw any attention to yourself. You decide to wait until the girls leave to exit the bathroom yourself. However, that decision would end up hurting you later.

"Y/n is so pitiful. I really hope she doesn't seriously believe that Mirio is interested in her. He literally acts like that with everyone."

'He's really brave for even trying to be near her though-" a second girl states, "-with a quirk like hers, it really would take someone courageous, like a hero, to be that nice to her."

Your breath catches in your throat, silent tears leaving your eyes at the words. The girls continue to gossip for a few more minutes, before finally leaving the bathroom. You rush out of the stall to wash your hands, before going outside through the back, by the garbage bins.

You lean against a stone wall, slowly sliding down until your knees hit your chest. You wrap your arms around your legs, crying softly into your sweater's sleeves.

"Y/n?"

You jerk your head up at the startling voice, knocking the back of your head against the wall. You put your hand against the back of your head, wincing in pain as your head throbs.

"Oh wow! I'm so sorry y/n! You know how sneaky my quirk can be haha.." Mirio rambles on as he sits down next to you.

"The amount of times I've startled people is actually pretty high believe it or not. I should become a -"

"Why are you here, Mirio?" You look away from him as you interrupt his words. "Why are you even talking to me?"

"Huh? Y/n, I always talk to you." Mirio looks confused as you turn away from him.

"Exactly. Why do you constantly want to speak to me? Do you feel bad for me? You can't seriously want to be my friend or anything more! Especially because you know what my quirk is. You know what I can do to people. Yet you still choose to talk to me. I'm such a monster. A girl like me could never become a hero. I don't even know what I'm doing here."

Mirio was silent. He's never heard you speak that much to him. You were always shy around everyone and that's what attracted you to him at first. You reminded him of Tamaki, his best friend. He wanted to help you break out of your shell and in all honesty, he just wants to make you smile.

"Y/n-" he reaches out to cup his hand under your chin, turning your head to look at him. "first off, you're not a monster. Don't you ever say anything like that about yourself again. Your quirk is amazing. Anyone who can't see that is obviously jealous of it. I've seen you train over the years. Your quirk has so many possibilities, so many things that it can be used for. You don't have to think of yourself as this person who's only good for hurting others, cause that just isn't true. You're going to be an outstanding hero one day, just you wait. We'll both be in the top 10 together, fighting villains, helping civilians, and spreading peace throughout our world. Together.

A single tear runs down your face, before Mirio uses his thumb to wipe it away. He reaches down to intertwine his fingers with your gloved ones.

"I want you to realize how special you are. Not only to this world, but to me. You mean so much to me y/n, whether you believe it or not. And I'll be damned if I let you go another day in your life doubting your worth. You're worth it. Do you hear me?"

You nod your head at him, tears spilling out of your eyes at his words. He pulls you into a hug, wrapping his buff arms around your waist, letting you put your tear-soaked face in the crook of his neck.

You've never felt like this before. You grew up, believing that you were a mistake. Believing that every good thing that came your way would somehow be destroyed. Somewhere deep in your heart, you knew, that Mirio would be the one thing in your life that would stay consistent.

Stay positive.

Stay pure.