Prongslet Gets a Letter

Harry recovered very slowly after the war. This bothered him because he was very much a person that gets up and does things, but when there was nothing to do, what happened?

It was messy. Being a war veteran messes shit up. There were nightmares, days where he had to occupy himself every minute and days where he could not bear to do anything at all. On those days Harry relied on others to help him.

He couldn't be more grateful for his support system. They didn't always understand what he was going through, but they were great listeners.

The worst part though, was the guilt. He couldn't shake the fact that it was all his fault. Maybe if he hadn't been born the second war would never had happened. So many more people would have lived. One afternoon Harry voices this thought aloud to Ginny.

She turned from the pot on the stove and frowned. "Harry if you hadn't been born so many things wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't have fallen in love with you. Ron and Hermione wouldn't have been friends with you. If you hadn't been born who would've stopped Voldemort?"

"But Gin so many more people would've been happy."

"You don't know that Harry. People come and go all the time. It isn't your fault."

...

The next morning they traveled to Gringotts. Harry was reluctant. He had been there previously to withdraw gold during his Hogwarts days, (and steal a horcrux) but he's never been there to really examine what's inside. Along with being reluctant, he was a bit afraid of what he would find. Who knew what was in there along with the stacks of gold?

The goblin led them to his vault and Ginny stepped off the cart first. Harry stared at the vault door and jumped off the cart following Ginny.

After opening the door, they stepped inside and Harry shivered. He had been avoiding Gringotts for as long as possible because the last time he was there he rode a dragon out. Ginny touched his arm comfortingly and he kneeled by an envelope.

It's funny how the smallest things catch our attention. The smallest flicker of light can cause us to whip our heads around to the source. The smallest volume change to the radio can make us grumble. Harry managed to notice the smallest thing in a room filled with objects.

Why would someone store an envelope in a vault? Harry thought inwardly as he carefully tore into it. He didn't recognize the handwriting on the outside that read: Prongslet, but he assumed it to be the legendary Prongs.

Dear Prongslet,

We are facing unknown times ahead, but I stay strong for you. Your mum and I want you to know that we love you so much, even if we aren't here to tell you, we love you.

I want you to know how your mum and I came to be your mum and I. So, there I was the famous James Potter, Quidditch Captain and Headboy reading a book. Please, tell me I didn't raise a nerd.

Lily and I were co heads so we had to spend a lot of time together. The responsibility of this job was tremendous, so I asked your mother for help most of the time.

Anyways.... I was reading a book when she came striding up to me with the weirdest look on her face. Then, she exclaimed her love to me for everyone to hear as did I.

I really have no idea why I'm telling you this in a letter. I probably have already told you in person. Pads and Moony have probably told you about all the embarrassing times I was rejected by Lily. The truth is I just wanted to get it down on paper if anything were to happen.

Make it be known that James Potter is actual the bossest wizard around. I'll make sure to tell my grandkids that.

Merlin, I have to stop writing because your mother is asking me to do something. We face unknown times ahead, but I know we can get through them. We have already gotten through them by the time you read this letter. Harry, we love you.

Your dad,
Prongs

Harry stood their disbelievingly. This letter was proof his father actually lived. It wasn't a story anyone else had told him, but it was something only Harry had read.

His father was such a dork. It made Harry miss him even more. The letter showed Harry a glimpse of what James had been like. It was different than stories that someone else told you because it hadn't been watered down through time.

What struck him the hardest was the date on the letter. October 29, 1981. Two days before his dad's death. Little did his dad know that he never made it through the unknown times, but Harry was left to struggle without him.

...

Author's Note:
I know I'm extremely mean for writing this, but if it makes you feel better I cried too. Why these books are so tragic, I have no idea.

-teddy🐤