04. Have I Caught Your Attention Now?

Start from the beginning

I stared at the phone for a bit, before I glance over to the monitor.

I shake my head, I'm about to step away, when the screen flicks back on, in my confusion, I watch in shock as the mouse on the screen moves towards the file directories and opens them.

Someone's just hacked the monitor.

I watch closely, looking at the file names, I grab my phone and take pictures as the light sensors turn off in the room, I watch the mouse open local disk 'C', it scrolls down as I take pictures of it, happening, along with the desk top hard-drive, I may be able to find the hacker.

It opens a bunch of different files, strange print reports on the junior column, before it types in a name, and not just any name...it types in my name and only one file opens. Under 'Melanie Myers', the screen changes, glitching for a moment, and confusion wafts through my features, before it opens to an old newspaper, dated back ten years ago.

A blonde twenty-two year old, by the name of Charlize Northern. I take pictures of the report, furrowing my eyebrows when the newspaper is copied and pasted into a USB that's added to the other user, who's currently hacking this particular monitor.

I can't but think this was purposeful done in front of me, but most would prefer to hide this kind of information, rather risk someone seeing it if they happen to have stayed in class near the end. My heartbeat increases by the minute as more newspaper articles are opened, Charlize Northern, someone named Bella Cruise, and two other, Stella Blake and Corinne Delia. I furrow my eyebrows, taking pictures of the newspaper articles, Charlize died in the woods ten years ago, cut wounds on her wrists and a note of scribbled handwriting...a confession.

Bella Cruise drowned but no body was found and any witness who had last seen her held no comments...the case closed.

Stella Blake, raped then murdered...killer unknown. Neck broken after clear evidence of being strangled. This case was deemed different because the wounds were shown clearly that someone had attacked her. Her blonde hair was skewed along her facial features.

Corinne Delia passed in an asylum, drug overdose.

Each one of them...light blondes.

I snap the last before the screen goes blank and the lecture room is eerily dark.

CLICK!

I snap my eyes up when the screen behind me lights up, my heart smacks against my chest and I hold the urge to scream as I gasp at what I see. In crooked white letters along a black screen, a written sentence.

'Have I caught your attention now, Melanie?' I gulp stuttering my way up the stairs before the exit sign changes colour, from green to red above me. I pause o the steps, my eyes wide and my phone light on as I scan my surroundings as quickly as possible.

No one was in the room, I sprint up the steps, leaping towards the door, I yank it open with a rip in the air and I shove myself into the light with a crashing speed, the doors slam closed and lock. My breathing was loud and hard, everything felt blurry as I walk away, backwards from the classroom.

My lips trembling as I swallow and jog down the hall in my heels. I hold my laptop to my chest and my phone in my pocket as I run down each level towards the first level. All lights were still on, I sprint down the next hall, around the study rooms, I twirl behind me when a light flickered, having caught my attention before hearing,

"Lemon?"

I snap my curls around, swallowing as I look into one of the open study rooms. Edmund steps up to the doorframe with furrowed eyebrows, he glances down the hall, giving me a look of disbelief as he scoffs,