XXVIII. he changed

Start from the beginning

If her aunt did notice her, again, she chose not to comment about it.

Right after the mass, the three of them were swarmed with curious church ladies, asking Zachary how he's been.

Zachary, still holding Seraphina's hand, merely smiled at the old woman whose brown eyes gaped down at their intertwined fingers.

Aunt Veronica, meanwhile, is busy talking with the priest regarding, judging from their serious facial expressions, about her. Perhaps, her aunt is confiding about her niece's scandal.

No wonder the priest is staring at Zachary and her, perhaps, just perhaps, he's thinking of the sin they committed.

The priest, an old man with thick brown hair, is not one to believe in such gossip but when he asked Mrs. Veronica Hearts regarding the issue, indeed, the smart young woman confessed about her sin in the trial.

Considering how the two young couples exchanged looks, their hands over each other, they looked very much in love. All-Father could ever do is nod, thinking, "Young Love,"

As the gossip mongers began to evaporate, Seraphina, together with Zachary left the church, strolling a few blocks to where the carriage was parked.

Still, Aunt Veronica is still completely engrossed with discussing whatever with Father.

"Did I tell you already how beautiful you are in blue?" exclaimed Zachary, his arm around her waist, their feet walking in sync.

Looking up at him due to their massive height difference, she responded, "I vividly remember hearing you say you prefer in black,"

"Let's just say you look great in every hue, love," reasoned-out Zachary.

Opening the brown carriage, Zachary swiftly wrapped his hands around her waist, mounting her inside, earning a soft sequel from here.

"A little warning next time, Mister," Seraphina scattered, Zachary merely shrugged, looking up at her.

She was about to scoot over, giving enough space for him when her eyes caught a black figure somewhere blended with the tall trees.

Blinking and squinting, she realized it's a tall hooded man.

Seraphina thought it was just a figment of her imagination when the hooded man began walking far from them, then, swiftly, he looked back, waving his hand off her.

Zachary must've noticed her stunned expression for his head immediately shot back, searching.

However,    it's too late since the hooded man was already out of sight.

"Something's wrong?" Asked Zachary, both his brow raised.

She debated whether to tell him what she saw. You see, every time she saw a hooded figure, she knew something bad was bound to happen and that it had something to do with Zachary.

For starters, when she caught Zachary brutally murdering a hoard of poor animals, he was wearing the exact hood.

When Zachary was shot in front of the boarding school, the man was wearing a black hood.

Even when men who tried to bury her alive were all wearing black hoods.

In the end, Seraphina solely shook her head, saying, "Nah, I just saw a doe walk by,"

Zachary's not satisfied with her answer, clearly not buying her lie, still, he let her slide.

After a minute, Aunt Veronica returned with a frown in the carriage. When Seraphina asked her what's with the mood, her aunt merely shrugs saying she'll talk about it tomorrow.