XXIX. no more, no less

Seraphina had spent the whole night alone in her chamber upstairs, walking back and forth, worried about Zachary.

Worried and angry and worried again.

How reckless could he be? Storming off to the unknown. He could get himself into grave danger.

And why hasn't he come back? It's been hours already, Seraphina stopped herself from diving deeper into the worst-case scenario.

She couldn't handle that. The thought of...

Gulping, she eyed the window across her, overlooking the Hearts' manor massive silver gate, looking for some sigh of Zachary.

Her heart beating fast, the images of the butchered footman flashes in her very mind, the sight of his chopped off head, bloody carved words into his chest, and such.

Aunt Veronica, despite still shaking at what transpired a while ago, is now resting in her chamber. A glass of water in her bedside table, which Seraphina prepared.

Of course, she waited until Aunt Veronica was fast asleep when she left the room to wait for Zachary's arrival.

Sighing, she sat down at her bed, her fingers grazing upon the white sheet, her mind conjuring the memory of Zachary in this very spot, making her laugh.

Oh, how her heartache and soar at the same time at those memories.

Seraphina was far too engrossed in her train of thoughts to the point her mind failed to register the sound of the creaking gate outside, the soft and slow sounds of footfalls downstairs, nearing her.

However, when the door flew open, Seraphina abruptly rode from her seat, her eyes wide shut, it was dark, indeed, the absence of a single lit candle worsened the scenario.

However, the presence of the moonlight providing at least a fair amount of light is enough for Seraphina to gaze upon once again, and a hooded man strolling towards her.

Giving herself the freedom of eyeing the man from head to toe, due to the large hood that concluded in his ankle, Seraphina couldn't see much.

Before Seraphina could open her mouth, or even had the chance to grab a mere weapon, throw it at him, the hooded man immediately ran towards her, thus, pressing a cloth against her nose.

Slowly, Seraphina could feel her world going round and round as she struggles to escape the man's firm grip, as she struggles to let out sounds from her lips, to even holler for help, as she struggles to even stand straight for her feet is getting jelly.

The last thing Seraphina remembered before everything went black was the rough feel of his hands over her, carrying her in a bridal-style.

Opening her eyes slowly, her mind still throbbing from the drug, her state worsens when a bright light coming from the candle is pointed towards her eyes.

Gasping, the man whom she can't quite see due to the blurriness of her sight, held both her shoulders firmly.

"It's time you wake up, Princess," exclaimed the man, his voice masculine yet not comforting. Far from Zachary's voice.

Even the hard grip on her shoulders, it gave her such creeps.

With that, she struggles to escape his rough hands, her mind still throbbing, earning her a hoarse chuckle from the man.

Slowly, her sight began to regain. She eyed the man gingerly, his red hair long enough to touch the end of his shoulders, his nose pointed, his brows thick, blue eyes and all, his lips curled into a handsome smirk. The man's wearing a well-tailored suit, well-polished shoes. His shirt rolled up, giving Seraphina a full view of his tattoos. Indeed, he is one hell of a wealthy man.