CHAPTER SEVEN - 𝑬𝑿𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑵𝑮𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑭𝑨𝑽𝑶𝑹𝑰𝑻𝑬𝑺

"Disgusting." Said Y/N, eyeing down on the katsudon* where the meat and vegetables weren't seen at all. It was covered by the heavy, thick yellow colored sauce, mayonnaise. Y/N could practically hear the meat, vegetables and rice screaming for help.

*Katsudon is a popular Japanese food, a bowl of rice topped with a deep-fried pork cutlet, egg, vegetables, and condiments.

Slamming the bottle of goodness down—making the two bowls of dish shake a little along with their chopsticks—Hijikata glared. "We made a deal to not criticize each other's specials!"

"Yours is too disgusting! How can I eat with someone like you?" She leaned closer to take a smell at the blob before covering her mouth and gagged. "Oh yea? Look at yours! It's so plain—no, it's literally just rice!"

"It's not just rice! Can't you see the pork down there?!"

"Maybe I could've seen it if you didn't ask for more rice, covering the star of the dish!"

"You're one to talk!"

The old married couple standing behind the counter—owner of the restaurant they stepped in—watched the young ones bicker. The wife nodding slowly, as if approving the two while the husband sweat dropped at their voice, which is only getting louder and louder.

"Should we..." He started off, eyes squinting and occasionally backing off a little when their movements are too big. He wanted to shut his eyes and ignore how the two police officers grab each other's throats and collar, but afraid of what his restaurant would become once he peel his eyes off of them. "...stop them?"

His wife shook her head, a content smile on her face as she did so. "No, I think it's fine. Young ones like them always end up together, you know? Don't break their bonding."

The H/C haired women and dark green haired man both took their uniform jackets/coats off in a swift movement, rolling up their sleeves in sync and sliding each other's dishes to the other, eyes meeting once again with fire in them. "My pork cutlet bowl is better."

"We'll see." Hijikata snickered.

The two picked their chopsticks up, quickly saying their thanks before diving in.

"Ooh, they're exchanging favorites!" The wife squealed, happy to see the two so understanding to each other. "They're willing to exchange their special meals, even if they despise it, isn't that pure?" She sighed dreamily, hands clasping together before leaning her cheek on them.

Her husband, however, think she got it all wrong.

No, she definitely got it all wrong.

"There's no way that's 'understanding to each other' and 'pure'..." The husband exclaimed, almost feeling bad for the two as he watch them desperate not to spit the food out and vomit right there and then, no, their pride wouldn't let them.

This...mayonnaise...is killing me. Y/N could feel the mayonnaise stick on the corner of her lips and maybe at the cheeks, too, but refuse to give up, if Hijikata's eating hers, then she will eat his.

Too much...too much rice. Hijikata yearned for the water sitting on the table, wanting to chug it all down in an instant, but Y/N hadn't stopped yet, there's no way he's going to back off now!

Slamming the bowls down, clean with only little sauce, small pieces of vegetables that were too hard to pick up with chopsticks and some left over mayonnaise and rice. They made eye contact, smirking at each other either with twitching lips because of the taste of mayonnaise or jaw tired from chewing all that rice, anyhow, they finished.

"H-How's that, huh?" Hijikata panted, hands resting on his knee to try his best not to collapse. "It tastes disgusting." Y/N replied, brows furrowing at his smirk. "Well, yours tastes just as bad." The smirks the two held were gone in an instant before their eyes turned hard once again, snapping their head to the married couple.

"One Hijikata special!"

"One Y/N special!"

They continued to pick their chopsticks up, shove the bowl into their faces and swallow the food up, ordered another and repeated, the cycle goes on.

It ended with the two stumbling out of the restaurant, an arm around each other's shoulders as their backs were bent, finding no strength to stand up straight after inhaling all that food.

"Ah~young love." The wife sighed dreamily once more, probably reminiscing the old times with her lover.

The husband—who probably gained more white hair watching the two just now—stood stiff in his spot, no, he does not get 'young love', what 'young love' is this women talking about? What has 'love' in this generation become?

That day, the married couple made less than usual because customers who walked in decided to go back when they saw the two Shinsengumi officers and customers who were in there before them, quickly went back home too.